NY Strips W/ Mushrooms In A Red Wine Reduction (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A little history to start with. When I first became active here, pretty much anything I made that came out good I posted. Sadly, that didn't happen very often. As I learned more, I started posting a bit more. Then the creative aspect really started coming into play as I was making more new stuff. Well, I backed off a lot and only started posting stuff that was really over the top or had some sort of a unique, creative aspect to it. Well, now it seems as though that's happening pretty often. I'm coming up with new approaches to things on a regular basis. It's now reached a point that I am backing off from that approach also because I don't want it to look like I'm posting about every meal I make, even though it may have something fun and creative in it. I made this meal the day after I made the chili stuffed baked potatoes and had no intention of posting it because I'd just posted the taters. Well, Tracy insisted that I do this. She knows how much I've gained from this forum and understands the importance of giving back. This is for her and it's not about the steaks, although they were outstanding. This is about the sides: mushrooms but mostly the spinach & broccoli casserole.

Got the steaks out to defrost
002.jpg

Small portabellas sliced and in a pan with a bunch of butter
001.jpg

Hollandaise sauce going. This is where things get fun with the veggies
003.jpg

Cut up some broccoli and into the steamer. This will get lightly steamed to start the cooking process before the next step
004.jpg

I cut the stems off a bunch of fresh baby spinach. It went into a big bowl with the broccoli
005.jpg

Then add the Hollandaise sauce, some salt and pepper, and mix up. Then into an 8" CI skillet and top with Pecorino Romano cheese
007.jpg

Season the steaks with my beef rub
008.jpg

Steaks and veggie casserole onto the Rec Tec
009.jpg

Smoke for a bit then move steaks to the sear burner on the grill
010.jpg

Mushrooms in the red wine reduction
012.jpg

A beefy rice pilaf
013.jpg

Steaks and veggie casserole done. One pic of each
011.jpg

014.jpg

Dinner plated and ready to eat
017.jpg

The steaks were outstanding but y'all have seen me post a few of those so just discount that aspect. The mushrooms were by far the best I've ever had, and they were so simple to make. That veggie casserole however was totally off the charts!! Again though, it was really easy to make. I used Knorr packaged Hollandaise sauce. Probably not as good as making it myself, but it's pretty good and very easy. When added to the veggies then lightly smoked, some cheese on top, it was an amazing flavor combination. You can count on me serving that to our guests at our next meal....which will probably be prime rib next weekend from those monster 103 cut rib sections. Well gotta run. Pub time. If this post offends anybody being that it's right on the boot heels of the stuffed taters, you can blame Tracy :emoji_laughing:

I call it "plausible deniability"
Robert

Beautiful Robert. I love mushrooms and those look off the charts good. I am most impressed by the spinach and broccoli casserole. Looks very simple and delicious. Love spinach casserole and broccoli casserole so combining the two and smoking it in a cast iron is genius. Big points my friend! Thanks for sharing!

Keep on posting please, these are awesome meals. Red wine and mushrooms are such a great pairing! Looks great.

another great looking meal Robert, and as usual a nice write up. Jim

Thank you Jim. I truly appreciate it. Needless to say, I enjoy coming up with new stuff and sharing it with the good folks here.

Robert

Beautiful Robert. I love mushrooms and those look off the charts good. I am most impressed by the spinach and broccoli casserole. Looks very simple and delicious. Love spinach casserole and broccoli casserole so combining the two and smoking it in a cast iron is genius. Big points my friend! Thanks for sharing!

John...can't tell you how much I appreciate the kind words my friend. Yes, the broccoli and spinach casserole was outstanding. Glad you like the idea and hope you find it as good as we did. The veggie casserole is what Tracy has beaten me over the head for 3 days to post. The mushrooms only had butter, about 3/4 cup of beef broth, minced garlic to taste, a bit of S&P, and about 2 T of red wine. They reduced considerably while cooking but the broth was a bit thin so I added about 1/2 t of corn starch and it thickened the sauce beautifully. Just fantastic!! If you like mushrooms, I highly recommend giving these a try. Should I make the broccoli and spinach casserole for our next get-together, it'll need to be a quad batch and done on the big CI skillet.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Keep on posting please, these are awesome meals. Red wine and mushrooms are such a great pairing! Looks great.

Thanks so much for the support. Sometimes I just feel like I'm blowing the forum up, but some of these creative ideas just need to be shared...or at least that's my thoughts :emoji_wink: Being that I've gained so much here, I try to give a little bit back when I can.

Robert

Mouth watering plate.... That's one grate meal! m Robert, do you have a pick with sliced stake? :emoji_wink:

Thanks so much for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it. Sadly I don't have any pics of the steak sliced. I had no intention of posting this so didn't go the full gamut taking pics...and I've posted a LOT of steak meals so I let this one go by the wayside. It was a perfect medium rare with a juicy pink/red center and a bit of a smoke ring from the low temp / extreme smoke applied before going on the sear burner. I hope you can use your imagination from there. It looked a lot like this, but on a slightly smaller scale.

024.jpg

These are bacon laced sirloin filets with a brandied plum compote that I did a last week but the steaks looked identical when served.

Robert

Reactions: xray and phatbac
Looks Great, Robert!!
Nice Job, as usual !!
Like.
You don't have to explain why you post what you post.
If it looks Good Post it!!
That's what I do, unless Mrs Bear makes it.
The only thing of hers that makes it in here are some of our sides & her Pies & Cakes.
I like looking at your posts, like you used to of mine.
I don't think there's anyone on here who doesn't enjoy ALL of your Posts!!

I only wish I could see them all, but I miss so many Great Posts.

Bear

Yep , keep posting. Gives us ideas and they always look delicious.

You got it. I just feel sometimes that I'm over-doing things when I post 5 out of 7 meals I make just because they have a different approach or something creative. I love to learn from y'all and I love giving back, but sometimes it just seems like overkill.

Robert

I like looking at your posts, like you used to of mine

Thanks so much Bear!! I know I miss some of your stuff once in a while but make no mistake about it, if I see something you've posted, I read it and reply most of the time. You are one of my mentors here and I have learned SO much from you. My time in the forum is hit or miss though. Sometimes I have hours to read through, sometimes only a couple minutes. I've never not read a post that I've seen you make, especially if it pertains to prime rib :emoji_laughing: I just miss one on occasion when I fall behind here. I know I still owe you one that was recently mentioned which I keep forgetting to go back and read. Rest assured my friend, you're one of the primary reasons I love this forum as much as I do.

Feeling like I have slighted a good friend,
Robert

It all looks awesome and sooner or later I will have to try out that Piedmontese beef. Everything looked fantastic but of particular interest is the spinach and broccoli dish. My wife would go bonkers for that!! I am sure I would like it as well. Very nice cook and details again Robert!

You inspire us Robert. You had me at the mushrooms. Damn it all looks so good man. Mushrooms are on the shortlist.....

Fantastic looking meal Robert!
You can post as much as you want.
All of your posts are very interesting & quite detailed!
I think we all enjoy reading them!
Al

It was a perfect medium rare with a juicy pink/red center and a bit of a smoke ring from the low temp / extreme smoke applied before going on the sear burner. I hope you can use your imagination from there.
That's it!! Yes, I used my imagination... Robert, you just changed my plans for this weekend!!!! I 'll stay home in stead of going to Napa wine country for wine testing because... I'll have to cook ice juicy stakes!!! Yey! Thank you for changing my plans... :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky