Not smoked, but is wild game, venison liver pate Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigslick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Dexter, MI
I hunt and am trying to use more and more of the game each time I get an animal. Saw a show on Chris Cosentino and it got me thinking.
I always kept the heart from deer and this year I kept what looked like a very healthy liver.
Also an avid mushroomer, so...
Here is the pan of Hen of the Woods frying up:

soaked cleaned and cut liver (forgot to get pics) then soaked over night in butter milk.
And the venison liver after cooking in bacon fat:

Found and modified a recipe on a hunting/fishing site I visit. It is: liver in small pieces, butter, onion, miracle whip, hard boiled egg, garlic. I added the mushrooms trying to get a nice rich flavor.
It was miserable trying to get it all smooth in the processor, maybe it is time for a new one, it looked a bit graining, but is very spreadable when pressed, not at all like the paste I was expecting though.

and the taste test...

Really good! Not many in my family will try liver let alone venison liver, but I ate so much on Christmas for lunch almost ruined my dinner.
Thanks for viewing.
Godspeed,
bigslick

Thanks for the recipe Bigslick! I'll give it a go.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky