Not smoked, but darn tasty.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1chaos52

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Not sure how many of you tuned into the Food Network during grill week, but there were definitely some interesting episodes and of course come that made me woder if they knew what the heck they were doing based on things that I have learned here.

One show that intrigued me a bit was the Throwdown with Bobby Flay episode for steak. Bobby went up against a Marine cooking steak on the grill out in the desert, and it was very interesting. The Marine (Captain D as he is called) simply used a homemade marinade and cooked as normal. The funny thing was that he was using basic chuck steaks while Bobby was using much higher quality cuts of meat, and Captain D won.

Based on my figuring what the ingredients of the marinade would taste like and the fact that he won the throwdown using a lesser cut of meat. I figured I had to try it.

The marinade is a combination of Habanero peppers, Coca Cola, and some other ingredients. When my girl saw me cutting up the Habs, the was a little frightened, but I figured (correctly) that the other ingredients would tame it down some. I marinated the steak, (just sirloin tips) for about 4 hours.

This was some of the best steak I have ever had. The ingredients really get into the meat quickly and tenderize it nicely. I cooked them to medium and was just blown away by the flavor. They did have a nice kick to them from the habs, but it was nothing that anyone eating it could not handle.

I highly recommend trying this if you like spicy. The link to the recipe is below, it is the second one on the page. Good luck with it and let me know your thoughts on it.

http://www.commandofthegrill.com/winner_recipes.html
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Don't think it was Chuck eye, the steaks he was using looked pretty pathetic. The recipe calls for NY strip, but I am not entirely sure what he was using.

How long do you marinate? I'd think the acidity of coke would really break things down if you do it too long?

I marinated mine for about 4 hours and it was fine. Tender, but not mushy. I think next time I will try it at 6 hours to get it a little more tender and I think the meat will hold up fine, but I don't think I would do much longer than that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky