No Wrap Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2015
New Orleans LA
Smoking two racks of baby backs today.  Got them rubbed with Jeff's rub while I go prepare the WSM.

WSM is loaded with KBB and pecan chunks.  Dumped an upside chimney of lit coals onto the pile and let it come up to temp.

There was quite a difference in the lid therm and the maverick at the grill surface.

Baby backs got on at 11:00 and I ain't checking on em till 4:00pm.  Just gonna keep the WSM between 225 and 250.  Outside tem is 50 and a slight breeze.

Mike

Reactions: disco
Mike, 5 hours may be a little long. At 225-250*, I would check them at no more than 4 hours. I am usually at 260-275* for baby loin backs and have a really good bend at 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Then I sauce/glaze them twice in 30 minutes.

Jeff's rub really makes a great baby back rib. I use it a lot. I have added a little sweet and taken out a little heat. My family and friends like it that way. I did the same thing to his sauce and I think it's awesome.

What model Maverick is that? I have the 732 and it needs some work. The temps at the cooker are spot on, but the remote does not pick up. It's not really a problem, but I would like to have it when I want it.

Good luck with your ribs. post some pics when you're done. Joe :grilling_smilie:

Thanks Joe,

I'll give them a check at the 4 hour mark. My last ribs were perfect after 5 hrs.  No sauce and no wrap. The Maverick is an ET-733, a little difficult to decipher the destructions, but at least I can leave it alone once I have it the way I want it.

Mike

Looking good,it would be nice to have temps in the 50's!
50's suck!  Been  saying that since I turned 50 last April!  
icon_lol.gif

Mike

Here they are at 4 hours, not enough pull back, didn't disturb them.  Took a pic and will let them smoke at least an hour more.

Looking good, Mike. What's an hour between friends? I wonder what the difference is between the way yours and mine cook? I like a really good tug, but they are always done with a good bend and good pull back. Oh well, I'll just have to drive to NOLA and check them out. We can always go to the "Court of Two Sisters for dinner Antoines for breakfast and Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets. Those are hard to beat.

BYW, 70 is the new 50. Happy New Year, Joe :yahoo:

Looking good, Mike. What's an hour between friends? I wonder what the difference is between the way yours and mine cook? I like a really good tug, but they are always done with a good bend and good pull back. Oh well, I'll just have to drive to NOLA and check them out. We can always go to the "Court of Two Sisters for dinner Antoines for breakfast and Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets. Those are hard to beat.

BYW, 70 is the new 50. Happy New Year, Joe
yahoo.gif
I picked the largest racks I could find, 4.2 and 4.5 lbs.  Just have better success with racks this size.  I just took the smaller rack off and cut it in half.  Wrapped and sauced one half, put everything back on the smoker.  My better half wants some sticky ribs, who am I to argue?  I love Antoines and Cafe du Monde, never done the Court of two sisters, will have to look it up.

Mike

I picked the largest racks I could find, 4.2 and 4.5 lbs.  Just have better success with racks this size.  I just took the smaller rack off and cut it in half.  Wrapped and sauced one half, put everything back on the smoker.  My better half wants some sticky ribs, who am I to argue?  I love Antoines and Cafe du Monde, never done the Court of two sisters, will have to look it up.

Mike
Dragos Charbroiled Oysters! b

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky