No Uds For Me. I Have A Pds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denver dave

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 13, 2009
Frederick, CO
Spent the weekend at a comp in North Platte NB. While there I was wandering around between cooks, I came across a team that was cooking in wine barrels.
They were beautiful. They had 3 they were using. (Pork, Brisket, and Ribs).
After talking to them for a while, they mentioned the local Winery was having a Wine Barrel Smoker cooking contest and wanted to know if we would be interested. DUH!!! The best part, the winery furnished the barrel to make the smoker.

I'm filling it with water to make it swell up and seal. Then I can start anchoring the stays to the straps. More pics as we get going on the project.
biggrin.gif

Now that is cool...I have heard of using the wood of barells to smoke with but not using the barell to smoke IN....
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That will make such a pretty smoker you may not even want to use it. I really like the idea and cant wait to see pics.

Tom

Nice looking wine barrel...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have heard that if you take a whiskey barrel and put a few gallons of water in them and let them set in the sun you can get a couple gallons of diluted whiskey from the, Wonder if that would work with a wine barrel???
icon_mrgreen.gif
Just Thinking Ahead...

Did get some great smell out of the barrel filling it with water but no diluted wine. May have to find a whiskey barrel and see if your theory holds water so to speak..
icon_smile.gif

Very cool. Saw a simialar smoker on Craigslist one time, it was even laquered on the outside.... looked beutiful.

Awesome... This thought has crossed my mind before but I figured the wood would dry out and the lid would be difficult to hinge.
Is this gonna be a horizontal? Are you gonna use one big hinge in the center or use something similar to car hood hinges on the sides?

I have an old Whiskey barrel just waiting for some purpose. Yes adding some water will "sweat" some goodness from the wood. That wine barrel is much better looking than a whiskey barrel.

I have never seen a smoker made out of one, Let us know how it works out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky