No Uds For Me. I Have A Pds

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by denver dave, May 9, 2010.

1. denver dave

denver dave Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Spent the weekend at a comp in North Platte NB. While there I was wandering around between cooks, I came across a team that was cooking in wine barrels.
    They were beautiful. They had 3 they were using. (Pork, Brisket, and Ribs).
    After talking to them for a while, they mentioned the local Winery was having a Wine Barrel Smoker cooking contest and wanted to know if we would be interested. DUH!!! The best part, the winery furnished the barrel to make the smoker.

I'm filling it with water to make it swell up and seal. Then I can start anchoring the stays to the straps. More pics as we get going on the project.[​IMG]

2. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now that is cool...I have heard of using the wood of barells to smoke with but not using the barell to smoke IN....[​IMG]

3. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That will make such a pretty smoker you may not even want to use it. I really like the idea and cant wait to see pics.

Tom

4. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking forward to seeing more info on this one.

5. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I really am looking forward to the build and see how it works. We have a winery near me and you have me thinking

6. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

Thats gonna be cool cant wait to see the build!!!

7. hernando

hernando Smoke Blower

That is awesome Dave. What winery is it?

8. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I'm watching this post! Looking forward to the outcome. [​IMG]

9. That most definitely looks cool, and I can't wait to see the finished product, but I'm thinking to myself, "they have wineries in Nebraska"? lol.

10. graybeard

graybeard Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

You have my attention as well. I'll take wood over steel anyday.

beard

11. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking wine barrel... [​IMG]

I have heard that if you take a whiskey barrel and put a few gallons of water in them and let them set in the sun you can get a couple gallons of diluted whiskey from the, Wonder if that would work with a wine barrel??? [​IMG] Just Thinking Ahead...

12. denver dave

The winery is Feather River.

13. denver dave

Did get some great smell out of the barrel filling it with water but no diluted wine. May have to find a whiskey barrel and see if your theory holds water so to speak..[​IMG]

14. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very cool. Saw a simialar smoker on Craigslist one time, it was even laquered on the outside.... looked beutiful.

15. bbq enthusiast

bbq enthusiast Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

lets see some pics.

16. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome... This thought has crossed my mind before but I figured the wood would dry out and the lid would be difficult to hinge.
    Is this gonna be a horizontal? Are you gonna use one big hinge in the center or use something similar to car hood hinges on the sides?

17. nickelmore

nickelmore Smoking Fanatic

I have an old Whiskey barrel just waiting for some purpose. Yes adding some water will "sweat" some goodness from the wood. That wine barrel is much better looking than a whiskey barrel.

I have never seen a smoker made out of one, Let us know how it works out.