no smoke taste

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nebatc

Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
I have a traeger smoker and I am getting a nice smoke ring but there does not seem to be much smokey flavor. Is there anything i can try or something i should do to get the smoke flavor?

My first question would be what kind of fuel are you using, how long are you smoking, what are you smoking.  Give us a bit more information about your process and your experience with smoking we may be able to help.

traeger smokers use wood pellets, I have been using hickory. I normally smoke pork shoulders and briskets. my process starts with putting a rub on the meat the night before, next day pull the meat from the fridge and let sit out for 30-45 minutes to get to room temp, during that time I start my smoker to get it warmed up. When i put the meat in the smoker I have it set for 200 degrees and smoke the meat for about 4 hours give or take a little, no fewer than 3 hrs and no longer than 5 hrs. If I am smoking shoulders or briskets then I keep it on the at 225 after i shut the smoke off until the meat temp is 185-190 and then i pull it, wrap it in foil and towels and let it sit for about an hour until it reaches 200-205 then pull it or slice it.

I know that Traeger makes different types of pellets.  You may want to try a different, more pronounced type of pellet.  I think their website listed a Mesquite pellet.

Not being a pellet smoker user I wish I could give you more specific information.  I am sure someone that owns a Traegar will chime in.

But it appears to me that you are cooking at a very low temperature (200).  That may make a difference.  You also said that you turn the smoke off after reaching a certain temp?

I see the answer falling into several categories:

The pellet style fuel does not produce as pronounced a smoke taste as non-manufactured wood.  Does it contain fillers?

You are not leaving the smoke on the food long enough

Your taste buds are not noticing the type of smoke flavor you are trying to achieve

Remember the meat isn't wrapped in foil the first couple of hours in the smoker

Your rub is overpowering the flavor of the smoke

Just guessing here trying to help you out until someone with more experience with the Traegar chimes in.

I know I always have trouble tasting the smoke in mine the day that I am cooking it. The following day i can taste it just fine. For me after I have been tending the fire all day I can't taste the smoke. Something with inhaling the smoke from the fire all day screws my taste buds up.. but that is just me. But, like I said the next day it's there.

I also usually take anything I'm smoking up to 160 before I foil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky