No Smoke Flavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andycaree

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Hello all. So I just got the 5 x 8 Amaze N smoker tray for my MES 30 electric smoker. I had no problem getting the pellets to light and stay lit and I believe have adequate airflow throughout the smoker because the pellets stayed lit the whole time. I just did a 20 hour pork butt and had consistent smoke billowing out for 15 hours of the cook time. Problem is, there is absolutely zero smoke flavor in my meat. The only flavor was from the rub I put on it. The pellets I used were the Pitmasters Choice that came with the amazing smoker tray. Any thoughts?

Hello all. So I just got the 5 x 8 Amaze N smoker tray for my MES 30 electric smoker. I had no problem getting the pellets to light and stay lit and I believe have adequate airflow throughout the smoker because the pellets stayed lit the whole time. I just did a 20 hour pork butt and had consistent smoke billowing out for 15 hours of the cook time. Problem is, there is absolutely zero smoke flavor in my meat. The only flavor was from the rub I put on it. The pellets I used were the Pitmasters Choice that came with the amazing smoker tray. Any thoughts?
You should taste smoke.... how's your Covid... they say taste is one of the first to go if you snort virus...

Reactions: tallbm and olaf
What wood pellets did you use? What flavor of wood?

The smoke flavor is only going to be on the outside layer of meat. If you pull the pork butt and shred it, mix the outer layer of bark in with the inner meat and this will distribute both the seasoning and the smoke flavor.

The smoke flavor is only going to be on the outside layer of meat. If you pull the pork butt and shred it, mix the outer layer of bark in with the inner meat and this will distribute both the seasoning and the smoke flavor.
[/

[/QUO]

Were you spending a lot of time around the smoker? That can desensitize you ... beyond personal preferences, have heard more than once why the cook thinks not any smoke flavor, yet the family does - or even complains too strong. Has anyone else tasted and has the same opinion?

Reactions: TNJAKE
Were you spending a lot of time around the smoker? That can desensitize you ... beyond personal preferences, have heard more than once why the cook thinks not any smoke flavor, yet the family does - or even complains too strong. Has anyone else tasted and has the same opinion?
I was using the Pitmasters Choice pellets that came with the tray. Unfortunately my guests that ate with me couldn’t taste any smoke either, just the rub that was in the bark.

If you were hot smoking the meat while adding smoke, say above 225F, the melting fat will hinder smoke adsorption...

If you were hot smoking the meat while adding smoke, say above 225F, the melting fat will hinder smoke adsorption...
Wow. I was smoking at 235 (I think) and burning pellets the whole time.

meat-smoking-cold.gif
meat-smoking-hot.gif

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, Andy. I have a MES 30 with the AMNPS and get lots of smoke flavor with all types of pellets. My only suggestion would be to try a stronger wood, like hickory, and see if that makes any improvement.
Gary
Do you use any liquid in your water pan? What temp do you smoke at? Where do you put your amnps?

Just saw this---Sorry I'm late!
If your AMNPS is smoking good, and not much Smoke Flavor, Try Hickory. It's almost all I ever use, because I like extra smoke flavor.
Don't put any water, Beer, Apple Juice, or any other liquid in any MES Gen #1, #2, or #2.5. Those units are so well insulated they are already holding too much Humidity inside---No sense adding more of that Problem. And you won't get any flavor from any juice you add to the Water Pan.
Just cover the Pan with Foil, and put it in place.

Bear

Just saw this---Sorry I'm late!
If your AMNPS is smoking good, and not much Smoke Flavor, Try Hickory. It's almost all I ever use, because I like extra smoke flavor.
Don't put any water, Beer, Apple Juice, or any other liquid in any MES Gen #1, #2, or #2.5. Those units are so well insulated they are already holding too much Humidity inside---No sense adding more of that Problem. And you won't get any flavor from any juice you add to the Water Pan.
Just cover the Pan with Foil, and put it in place.

Bear
Thanks. Will humidity affect smoke absorption?

Do you use any liquid in your water pan? What temp do you smoke at? Where do you put your amnps?

It depends on which MES you have.
The Gen #1 best place for the AMNPS is on the support rods in the bottom, left of the chip burner.

Gen #2.5 is best on the bottom Rack all the way to the right, with the dumper pulled out about 2".

Never put water or any other liquid in an MES.

Temp depends on what you're smoking.---Check Below:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

It depends on which MES you have.
The Gen #1 best place for the AMNPS is on the support rods in the bottom, left of the chip burner.

Gen #2.5 is best on the bottom Rack all the way to the right, with the dumper pulled out about 2".

Never put water or any other liquid in an MES.

Temp depends on what you're smoking.---Check Below:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear
You may have answered this and I missed it. I saw what you said about not adding liquid, but aside from weaker strength pellets that I used (compared to hickory), could the liquid that I had in there affect smoke absorption?

You may have answered this and I missed it. I saw what you said about not adding liquid, but aside from weaker strength pellets that I used (compared to hickory), could the liquid that I had in there affect smoke absorption?

My answer was:
Probably, but it's hard to tell, because there is already too much Humidity in an MES, without adding any more.
However on second thought, I'm sure it would affect it.

Bear

My answer was:
Probably, but it's hard to tell, because there is already too much Humidity in an MES, without adding any more.
However on second thought, I'm sure it would affect it.

Bear
Thanks for the advice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky