No foil ribs....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Inkjunkie,

Thanks for this thread.  I have always foiled my ribs, but I've wanted to get away from that.  I'm going to try it this weekend.
I was more than pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I applied my normal amount of rub the night before and then hit them with about half that just prior to putting them on. They were pretty lively when it came to the spices...
I was on the fence about spritzing. Was worried they would be dry but they were anything but. I think if my wife hadn't used the spray bottle that I was going to use I would have spritzed them...glad I didn't.
Good luck with yours....please do let us know how they come out...

Junkie , you won't be dismayed by the results . If your guest want a Sauce , have one on the table by all means , but let the meat speak for itself .And , Yes

for another convert.
Have fun and . . .
just me and the boss....and neither one of likes BBQ sauce....for the most part. If we could find one that was not comprised of mostly sugar we MAY feel differently. Buddy in AZ "cooked" a brisket for me once while I was there. The weeks prior to my visit all I heard was how great it was. No more than 2 hours of smoke, rest of time in an oven. Pulled it out of the foil...slathered it with store bought BBQ sauce....to me that just wasn't BBQ....

I cooked ribs naked for years, then the foil craze hit and I started wrapping and did that for a couple of years. Recently, I have had a rash of mushy FOTB ribs and wondered what was going on. From what seems to be the rule now, I am going to go back to my old ways and cook a batch naked. I hope my touch returns. Joe

I will be trying the no foil approch myself this weekend.
grilling_smilie.gif

If a person is not gonna foil how long do you add smoke for same 3 hours or longer?

Most of what I have seen, instead of the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods, they are just leaving them in the smoker for the whole 5-6 hours.
Depending on the toothpick or bend.
Our first foiless ribs were done on our BGE so no way for them not to be hit with smoke. I was surprised when they were done in 4 hours and 55 minutes. I have really come to like the Egg. Hardly ever see any visible TBS yet everything comes out with a beautiful ring.
We had some leftovers....sadly I had a stomach bug set in and am afraid to finish them off....

Man oh man, I HATE those stomach bugs. 

I heard Aaron Franklin just say on TV the other night, and I'm paraphrasing, "If you are using a complicated process you aren't making barbeque."  Simple works best for me.  I start the smoker (dry smoke, no water), lightly rub the SLC ribs (not BBs), load the meat at hints of blue in the cloud of smoke at the proper temp (250F for me), then forget about the ribs for 5 hours when I start saucing every 30 minutes until done, usually right at 6 hours.  I've had one rack bend properly at 5.5 and one took 6.5 out of the dozen racks or so I've done since Christmas.

Unwrapped gives such a nice, thin bark and juicy, tender insides.  Mmmmmm, good. 

I haven't had one this bad in a few decades. Have a doc visit later today. Thinking we may call to cancel and see if he will call a script in for me....afraid I won't make it to town, it is an hours drive to his office, without having something wanting to exit my body...

Diving into the no-foil abyss this weekend also after reading all of this. Great thread.

I'll be smoking two St. Louis Style racks with two rubs; Rub #1: Jeff's rub vs Rub #2: 50/50 mix of turbinado sugar and Tatonka Dust.

Shall this be the no-foil mega-thread?

Gonna be a good long weekend.

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

canada.gif

I cooked an average of 20 racks of spare ribs per week for quite a while , never used foil or anything else to cover ribs , smoked them at 225 for 4-4 1/2 hours ..tender as hell

Diving into the no-foil abyss this weekend also after reading all of this. Great thread.

I'll be smoking two St. Louis Style racks with two rubs; Rub #1: Jeff's rub vs Rub #2: 50/50 mix of turbinado sugar and Tatonka Dust.

Shall this be the no-foil mega-thread?

Gonna be a good long weekend.

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

canada.gif
I'm in for the no foil but nervous. I have had success doing 2-2-1 or so on bb's. I have 6 racks of spares to do either tomorrow or sat. for a fishing trip. Never done no foil or spares, I hope I can feed the guys good ribs?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm also in for the no foil mega thread with one question. Do we post our no foil cooks here? Or start new threads?

cooking ribs is a no brainer ...you don't need special "methods" or some math lesson ..just put rub on them , throw them in the smoker and set the temp at 225

and check them in 4 hours , IF they aren't  quite done to your liking cook until they are  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky