No Foil 9.5 Hour Pork Picnic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
My longest smoke to date in the Char Griller Pellet Smoker. Winco, a fav market here in the PNW, cuts picnics in half which is great for just 'me & she'. Plucked out a nice, meaty 5 pounder at $1.98 a pound, gave it the overnight paste rub with some EVOO, loaded the hopper and fired off on a beautiful, perfect Fall day here. Set it at 250 and P5 smoke level and monitored until all was going smoothly, then commenced other chores. I didn't even insert the Maverick probe until well past the 5 hour mark. It registered about 165 IT so just let it ride. I peeked & probed about 9 hours in with the Thermopen and it was about 190 IT. We eat at 6 PM so pulled it off at 530 for a foiled rest while the beans warmed up. The probe met no resistance....wa la, I thought! Now, IF I had adhered to my original plan of getting it on earlier I could have pulled it, but even the best laid plans do go awry so wound up slicing it. But the knife slid through that meat like it was warm butter and no knife needed once plated. The debate will continue to rage...butts or picnics preferred? I normally do butts as they pull easier, or so it seems to me. I left the skin on and will attempt cracklings in a deep fryer for another thread. One last thing, I had skinned all the meat off the bone from a previous double smoked ham to be used for the bean pot. On a whim I choose to toss that bone next to the picnic for a few hours to get some color & smoke. Should make for some interesting beans, no? but that's yet to be seen......Willie

EVOO and my rub containing some brown sugar

decided to leave the rind on

game on at 8 AM

I do enjoy seeing the smoke.....later on I could smell the pork everywhere

off and pre-rest

the rind view...was happy with that result

cut like butter, nice smoke ring

look at that rind......slipped off sooooo easy

bone from previous double smoked ham got a dose of the Lil Devil pellets for beans

Looks great.

Slices are just as good as pulled.

I never left the skin on.

Might try that next time.

Pass the platter this way!

That looks good.    I usually leave a small portion on the bone and throw it in a pot of pintos for some good tasting beans.

Looks great.

Slices are just as good as pulled.

I never left the skin on.

Might try that next time.
IMO, picnics are different in texture but some parts sorta pulled

Beautiful pics Chef Willie!  Great idea of recharging the bone with smoke to use in the beans. 
We'll see,,,,,hoping the beans don't taste charred....lol

Pass the platter this way!

That looks good.    I usually leave a small portion on the bone and throw it in a pot of pintos for some good tasting beans.
yep, have some shreds of ham not really fit for meal consumption to toss in
Great looking pork Chef! It's just about lunch time and I could definitely take a plate of that!
thanks....thinking of tossing some shreds in with a egg scramble here
Beautiful job Chef! I look forward to the results with the smoked bone in the beans. Great idea!
Me too....maybe I stumbled onto a new, novel approach to Bean Flavor Town...

Looks GREAT! Good idea on the bone.

Happy smoken.

David
thanks....hopefully will get done this weekend and advise

Looks good Willie! Your double smoked bone should add some great flavor to your beans!

We don't have a Winco here, but I have stopped at the one in Salem a few times, wish we did. We did just get a new Wilco farm supply here. My mom entered to win some of the prizes they had at the grand opening. She won a Traeger lil Tex smoker. Nothing she wants, so now I'll be getting another smoker! Said I'd never own a Traeger...

Looks good Willie! Your double smoked bone should add some great flavor to your beans!

We don't have a Winco here, but I have stopped at the one in Salem a few times, wish we did. We did just get a new Wilco farm supply here. My mom entered to win some of the prizes they had at the grand opening. She won a Traeger lil Tex smoker. Nothing she wants, so now I'll be getting another smoker! Said I'd never own a Traeger...
good score even still......I'm with you on the Traegers, once upon a time maybe...not now for the price. Heard a rumor Winco 'might' open here in Albany in the recently emptied K-Mart....I'm stoked about that. 

Man that looks so good!!! Great smoke Willie!!! You've been using that pit a few months now, you must be pretty happy with the Q its been turning out.
thx...getting the hang of it I think.....and the grub is pretty good so far.....Mama not crazy about to heavy of a smoke but the pellets seem to be just right even after a long smoke

Looks great,  I am a stick burner, and change wood with what I have available . Family really likes the mild pecan flavor I have been using lately. Me personally more of a hickory flavor guy. also mix a little oak in there.

But your color looks fantastic, bet it even tasted better.

Gary

Looks amazing Willie.   They are opening a Winco foods about 4 miles away from me.  Never had one or seen one.  Do they have a good Butcher counter? 

Thanks

Scott
I would have to say not a butcher counter per se as in old school. The usual long case with seafood and deli items. There are, in mine, numerous butchers available for special requests, specific cuts etc. that seem eager. Here they seem to have the meat sections we in SMF seem to use the most of.....ribs (all styles), butts, picnics, chucks, tritips, briskets, whole tenders.....much from Oregon ranches...not all necessarily from the packer in cryro but cut on prem and packed for sale at a very decent price compared to say, a Safeway, but not as good as a Sam Club price. To me it's just a nice place, my style, to shop in and I never worry about being ripped. I can get all the spices for my rubs in the bulk bins only getting what I need for pennies and very fresh. HTH, Willie

Looks tasty Chef. I have one of the same units and trying to get used to it. Had an MES30 for couple years. Love the pellets so far.

One thing I have been thinking about is dampering the smokestack somehow because it just seems to exhaust too much for me. I don't get as much deep smoke as I did in my MES. Any thoughts?

I have cooked a few butts on it at 225 P2. Good but needs tweaking imo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky