No boil Macaroni Mac & cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
FYI - follow the directions on the 9 x 13 pan!  My wife saw the recipe laying on the counter and thought it would be good for supper last night.  When I went to foil it 45 minutes into it I found she had put it in a casserole bowl (and they say men don't read directions???).
confused.gif
  Had a nice 1 inch layer of liquid on top.  So, i dumped it into the 9 x 13 pan (uncovered) for an additional 15 and most of the liquid evaporated.  Still tasted good, just pretty runny. 

Agreed on the 9 x 13, I believe the reasoning behind that would be more surface area for evaporation, and plus you get more smoke
icon_smile.gif

SQWIB,

I haven't tried much variation from the recipe other than the cheese types.  My personal fav is
oz co-jack,
of mozz,
parm and
provolone.  But I like the idea of using cream cheese / heavy cream, that's how I make the base to my alfredo sauce, wonder why i dint think of that sooner.... DOH.   Something to add to the to do list.....

I made mine and added bacon bits (the real kind) to it and it was good. I had left overs the next day and it was GREAT. I guess that the sitting and melding together makes it just phenomenal.

Just rocked this out today and it was great!

Tnx JIRodriguez for the brocolli idea (picked up at the farmers market this AM)

Added some morels and other wild mushrooms to make it even better.

85cc0252_IMG_0992.jpg

f721fd04_IMG_1006.jpg

Last edited:
Made this tonight for the GF had a 10 x 15 dish so I used about 3.5 cups of pasta shells medium. and 6.5 milk, added some chopped onion and topped it with peperoni.

She loved it took a bunch with her for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe, going to try some other things with his.

Folks,

I'm here to testify.  This stuff rocks.  Onions, shrooms, broccoli and pulled pork.  I substituted a can of cream of mushroom for a cup of milk.

We have a new family favorite.

Thanks a million!

This looks SOOOoooooo good !  I just put mine in the smoker and will hopefully be done with it in 2 or 2 and a half hours. 

I can't find macaroni style pasta out here so I just went with a different tube type pasta.  I mixed in some half cooked bacon and some eggplant.

I used velvetta (SP?) and "natural cheese" which is what they call almost every type of cheese in japan.  I took a tip from this post and substituted 1 cup of milk for 1 cup of cream.

I will get some pics for you all up before I and the wife eat it.

Tom

So I tried bpopovitz’s recipe last night with a few tweaks to try and make it creamer. First I used 6 oz Velveeta and 10 oz of cheddar cheese. Next I used 2 cups of heavy cream and 3 cups of milk. For extra kick, topped it with chopped jalapenos. Thought it was really good it did not get creamy. Basically the ingredients don’t blend on their own and I think that is what is needed to make the mixture creamy. However it was very good and is defiantly a dish I will repeat often, but if you want it smooth and creamy texture you will need to melt and blend your ingredients which puts an end to the one dish method. 

So it may look a little chunky, but the taste is perfect. I say leave it unblended!

So I tried bpopovitz’s recipe last night with a few tweaks to try and make it creamer. First I used 6 oz Velveeta and 10 oz of cheddar cheese. Next I used 2 cups of heavy cream and 3 cups of milk. For extra kick, topped it with chopped jalapenos. Thought it was really good it did not get creamy. Basically the ingredients don’t blend on their own and I think that is what is needed to make the mixture creamy. However it was very good and is defiantly a dish I will repeat often, but if you want it smooth and creamy texture you will need to melt and blend your ingredients which puts an end to the one dish method. 

So it may look a little chunky, but the taste is perfect. I say leave it unblended!
The last time I tried ths again I simply stirred it a bit more often, I know that goes against the leave the smoker door closed rule, but it did turn out a bit creamier.  Personally I like the chunkier Mac.  I'll say it again.  I love this place for the simple reason of sharing ideas and what grows from that.

I started playing with this on Friday evening and was very impressed. I am on my fourth iteration of messing with the recipe and I can tell you cream cheese will make it creamier but you do have to mix it in. Thanks for posting it bpopovitz!

Amazing recipe and mods to it... Like Al, I just found this... It is already in the SMF cook book and all the comments are added as well...  Dave loves mac & cheese...  Thanks all

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky