Nice Idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
I've seen this type "intro" thread on other boards and I'm glad to see that you've started one here Jeff. (I know it will make the 'Welcome Guys' job easier! :mrgreen:)

Well Howdy,

My name is Randy and I'm new to the forum. I have really already been welcomed and I've received some great advice from Earl, Bill and others here on the forum.

I have been smoking meat for about nine year now, but I've only recently developed a real passion for it. I started out on a self built cooker made from a 55 gal. barrell. I own a bullet type smoker, a patio size offset smoker and my new rig which is a trailer mounted smoker ( I posted a pic. of it somwhere on this forum).

My specialty is spare ribs but I really want to learn to cook a great brisket (consistantly) I ususally cook with oak unless I can get ahold of hickory. I only use mequite when I'm cooking chicken.

In real life (when I'm not cooking) I'm a general contractor. I build apartments, commercial buildings, and sometimes custom homes. I had rather be cooking than building!

My other hobbys include amateur radio, storm spotting (not chasing) and camping.

I really enjoy this forum and I look forward to reading and contributing to it.

thanks - Randy

Hey Randy,
First, I'd like to also welcome you to the forum. I remember back last spring, when I joined up, I also wanted to smoke a brisket that I could be proud of. Fl. Jeff described a method that is outlined in other threads on this forum. Basically, you slather it in ball park mustard, apply the rub and let it sit in the frige for about 10 to 12 hours. Then place it in the smoker, maintain about 225* until the internal temp reaches about 165. Then wrap it snugly (with a cup of apple juice) in doubled heavy duty foil and take it on up to about 190 to 200*. Then pull it out, place it in a cooler and cover it well with wet towels and let it set for about three hours. You need to read Jeff's method for more detail but I can tell you that on my first try using this method, my brisket turned out great! As Jeff says you can cut it with a fork .... just like buddah (butter). You can also baste it occasionally with apple juice or whatever while it is cooking. And by the way, when you put the brisket into the smoker, place it with the fat cap DOWN. How about it Jeff, did I get it right?

Fl. Bill

Your The Man.............Fla, Bill!

Randy, thanks for joining our group and taking the time to tell us a little bit about yourself.

Please take the time to read about 3-2-1 Ribs if you want to really get them "Fall Off The Bone" good!

Jeff

I live in N Devon, retired and have just started cold smoking 'properly' I used to play at it before with varying results. I have a west country cold smoker and a power smoke generator and am looking mainly to smoke fish, game and other meats as well as cheese, eggs etc.

Thanks in advance for all the help I am going to get ... I need it.

Geoff

Hi Dogs, Welcome to our "Family" and "Addiction"

Plenty of good folk on here, ask any questions you can think of, and you will get your answers.

Please take time to look at the UK Smokers Forum,

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/3161/uk-smokers

And introduce your self on the UK Roll Call
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/229926/roll-call

We have had our 2nd UK Smokes weekend, where members attend and cooked over the weekend, dates and plans are already in place for 2016. Please use the link below to view the website.

http://www.uk-smf.co.uk

Smokin Monkey [emoji]133660013031[/emoji]

Hi Randy and welcome. My name is also Randy I joined the form 3 years ago after smoking for around 20 years getting inconsistent results.
Now I get cosistatly good results every time no matter what I smoke, because I ask for help. I have done Jeff's brisket recipe a cupple times and it came out just as Bill said, melt in your mouth tender and juicy.
Anything you want to smoke just ask and the how to will be explained in detail by experts.

Randy,.

I live in N Devon, retired and have just started cold smoking 'properly' I used to play at it before with varying results. I have a west country cold smoker and a power smoke generator and am looking mainly to smoke fish, game and other meats as well as cheese, eggs etc.

Thanks in advance for all the help I am going to get ... I need it.

Geoff
Hi Geoff and welcome to the forum.

It is good to see another member from the UK who is keen on cold smoking. I have tried to find information about the West Country Smoker but without success. Could you possible post a photo or two as it would be good to see.

You have mentioned a lot of great things to smoke and maybe you can add butter, bacon and nuts to that list. I also know a chef who smokes water (yes water!) that he uses in sauces and stocks to give that little extra depth.

You may also find these useful

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/237224/smoking-fish-an-old-dog-can-still-learn-new-tricks

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/171886/comparison-of-salmon-curing-methods#post_1259805

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140785/smoked-fish-fillets-salmon-cod-and-haddock-q-view

Looking forward to your posts 
icon14.gif

Cheers

Wade

Wade

Thanks for the welcome. It was seeing your post on smoking salmon that led me to the forum so thanks for that as well. I still don't understand how to navigate around the site properly but that will come with practice

I think West Country Smokers might have gone out of business as their website is down. Basically it is a brute consisting of two cylinders with a large water bath in between. My problem has been creating enough smoke which is why I bought the external generator a week or so ago. I will post a picture when I work out how ...

Regards

Geoff

Wade ... and all others

I have attached the photo of the west Country Smoker that you asked for, as you can see it isn't pretty but it works. The drum on the right is the smoke chamber, the centre bit is the water reservoir and on the left is the actual smoking area. It is about 4ft tall when assembled and is solid. I make sure there is no 'goo' in the food area (the drum on the left) to avoid smell or taste contamination but don't worry too much about the smoke chamber ... is this a reasonable way to go?

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff - You can cold smoke successfully in a cardboard box. This looks like it would do the trick nicely. Do they all stack one on top of each other with the water trough in the middle?

Wade ... and all others

I have attached the photo of the west Country Smoker that you asked for, as you can see it isn't pretty but it works. The drum on the right is the smoke chamber, the centre bit is the water reservoir and on the left is the actual smoking area. It is about 4ft tall when assembled and is solid. I make sure there is no 'goo' in the food area (the drum on the left) to avoid smell or taste contamination but don't worry too much about the smoke chamber ... is this a reasonable way to go?

Regards

Geoff

Yes they do stack, it's a pain when the smoke fails or needs replenishing which is why I am trying to use an external generator ... I have posted seeking advice on the main forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky