Newby from South Africa

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by saffer2005, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hi all SMF members,
    I am a complete beginner - meat smoking is not that popular down here, but with all the fantastic info on this forum one can't go wrong!
    I've used a stainless steel s/pool filter, which I hope I can use as bbq & smoker.
    I have arranged series of pullys & s/steel wire to lower or lift the fire grate by turning & locking at the required height. will be experimenting this week end!
    [​IMG]

Cheers !
    [email protected]

2. You got to post pictures of this contraption - sounds amazing :)

3. wutang

wutang Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Sounds interesting-you have to post some pictures of that setup. I would like to see it. Welcome to smf.

4. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome Saffer. Ditto here on the pics. I want to see some wild game. Need pulleys when lowering in a water buffalo hind quarter?

5. solar

solar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Welcome, the information on this site is great, you should be able to make some great smoked meats. [​IMG]

If I understand correctly, you're converting a stainless steel sand filter into a smoker? Sounds like your going to put some time into it, take some pictures and post them once it's done.

6. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of info here and some pretty darn good recipes as well. I would suggest signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse as well it has some great info and its free. Your smoker plan sounds interesting and I look forward to some pics and info as to how it works. Have fun and happy smoking

7. okie joe

okie joe Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcom,to the SMF.Lots of great stuff hereand lots of helpful people..Yes the smoker sounds... well lets just say a lot of us are waiting for some info and pics...pully and chains? Got me sitting on the edge of my seat....welcome

8. mrsb

mrsb Smoking Fanatic

welcome to the SMF. Wow, the world gets small every day!!! A popular saying around here "The only stupid question is the one not asked." Need help, do a search. If you can't find the answer, ask away and you will get more answers than you ever imagined.

9. bb53chevpro

bb53chevpro Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds very interesting. Hope to see some pics.

10. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

glad to have u from way over there-lotsa great people around here to help.

11. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Whoa, we got some neighbors from your neck of the woods. Pretorious is their last name. I think he smokes elephants, only need one. [​IMG]
    Ever caught a Tiger Fish??

12. bbqgoddess

bbqgoddess Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Saffer2005,
    Greetings "China", I hope you post pix of your smoker soon,it sounds very interesting! I have a friend here in the garment industry in Los Angeles, he is from South Africa, played soccer for that matter...had lots of birds [​IMG]
    Warm wlecomes from Southern California...I love South African music...

13. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to the forum Saffer!

14. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the SMF. Sounds like your wanting to smoke is creating the need to improvise. I like your style my friend. Stick around, it only gets better.

15. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF Saffer. I travel thru Joburg twice a month for my job.

16. jond

jond Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Welcome Saffer!

The smoker idea sounds great, can't wait to see the pics..

Jon.

17. brandsbay

brandsbay Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Hi Saffer,welcome to SMF,post some pics of your smoke and the smoker,sounds real interesting.

18. kratzx4

kratzx4 Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to the SMF family. post some pic's of you smoker everyone would like to see your work of art.

19. gnubee

gnubee Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome, Like all the others I'm anxiously waiting to see how your pulleys and chains work. [​IMG]

20. carnuba

carnuba Smoke Blower

as with everyone else, i want to see pics,

what kind of wood you have to smoke with
    over there?