Newbraunfels Smoker Upgraded

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Have had this offset for a while. Never much liked it because no matter what I did the unit wanted to run 325-350*. No where close to slow and low. I moved on to other cookers but never got rid of her. I just did an air mod and added the above air inlets as they should have been, tried, half hearted to seal the door( the bottom is a radius) . Now the cooker is settling in at around 250 but will spike briefly to 300. Is running steady at around 250* now with the grate air shut off. It’s just a trial run, but is working great so far. I increased exhaust height and added some diffuser plates inside also, but wanted to share that I may have breathed new life into an otherwise unusable slow cooker. Time will tell.

08D7B308-AA4F-4075-BE61-B82CC89EBF8D.jpeg

FB3EB3F0-AC1A-4E31-ABB8-29B3D3FDBDBD.jpeg

That is going to be one beautiful restored smoker my friend. You are well into the fine tuning of her. An idea may be to slowly build the fire until you reach the desired temps, record it and try to maintain it (which you probably already have done?!) I'm not a thermodynamics engineer by any stretch, just thinking as an old grill guy trying to build the desired fire/heat using what is given to me. Kinda of like the old John Wayne heater/stoves! 🍻
John

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks guys. No restoration project here. I have maybe 6 different cookers around the place. This one was just screaming modifying! Pull up with a shiny 100 dollar bill, and I’d probably help you load it. Smoking meat is my passion. I can do it in multiple ways, and have done so.

Just posted this in case someone was searching around for this fix. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky