• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Creosote

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 5, 2021
The place I bought in Pittsburg Texas had an old smoker made from 3/8th inch pipe with no top opening for the firebox, a 2 inch chimney (thus the name Creosote)(photo after adding to the chimney) with a 13 x 24 firebox and 24 by 31 cooking chamber and had been filled with honey bees. Not much of a smoker for wanting to learn and cook some good ole Texas Brisket. I am really wanting to learn and become a decent pittmaster with an offset smoker. I have tons of red oak and white oak on the property with some Black Jack so I will be using those woods for smoking. Hope all yall can give me much needed information and guidance. Smoker 1a.jpg Smoker 1a.jpg Smoker 2a.jpg

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
Welcome from pa, lots of great people here, offsets are great smokers just need some patients and learn your smoker. I would say start with some ribs or a pork butt and see how your smoker acts.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Welcome from ND
Lots of info here that may be of help for you. Otherwise just ask, there is a ton of knowledge here and everyone is willing to assist.

bdawg

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2011
Welcome from WA State

Pork Butt is probably one of the easiest/most forgiving meats. There are lots of great posts on here how to do it. Folks do them using some slightly different tweaks as far as techniques go, but the biggest common thread is to use a thermometer, get it all the way up to around 203 degrees so that all the collagen breaks down so you aren't eating shoe leather. Confirm that it probes tender everwhere to be sure. You are on the way to tastebud heaven!

912smoker

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Welcome to SMF from SE Ga and congrats on the new property and smoker ! Lots of great folks and info here .

Last edited:

Brokenhandle

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Welcome from Iowa! Glad ya joined us!

Ryan

Cajun Smokes

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 16, 2020
The place I bought in Pittsburg Texas had an old smoker made from 3/8th inch pipe with no top opening for the firebox, a 2 inch chimney (thus the name Creosote)(photo after adding to the chimney) with a 13 x 24 firebox and 24 by 31 cooking chamber and had been filled with honey bees. Not much of a smoker for wanting to learn and cook some good ole Texas Brisket. I am really wanting to learn and become a decent pittmaster with an offset smoker. I have tons of red oak and white oak on the property with some Black Jack so I will be using those woods for smoking. Hope all yall can give me much needed information and guidance. View attachment 518173 View attachment 518173 View attachment 518175
That is a nice move in present. Welcome from Louisiana

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.