• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toona4

Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Hello to all! I live in the beautiful city of San Diego and I am totally new to smoking.  I spend much of my time in the country of Amazing Thailand.  I just returned from a nine month stay and during that time I made a Clay Pizza Oven.  Cooking pizza,chicken and pork in the oven next to a wood fire gave me much pride and of course the food was absolutely delicious.  I did a small pork loin that melted in my mouth, no knife needed.  I learned to be able to control the heat by trial and error, not with-out some food not being eatable.  There are hard woods available and because my girlfriend is a farmer we can select the hard wood to use.

Ok, Here is my question...  Can I smoke meat in my clay oven?  The area inside the oven is about 30 inches in dia by 15 inches high.  The walls are 20 cc thick with a small vent near the front and a twelve inch door. .  I have had the temp inside about 600 degrees f and the walls on the outside are cool, no heat escaping. I know those temps aren't needed but the thick walls should help control the low temp for smoking.

Happy to be here and am ready to learn from the Pro's.

Toona4
Looks-Great.gif

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Gary[/h3]

Welcome aboard toona4!  Glad you've joined the SMF family.  It'd be a little difficult to answer your question accurately without seeing your pizza oven...but off the cuff I'd say you could probably set it up to smoke meat.  You can just about smoke in any enclosed area if you can get heat and air flow.

Red

Hey welcome. That gizmo sounds like what the India Indians use to quick cook chickens..Tandori ovens maybe? Sounds like a plan to me. I like to cook chickens so quick their eyes are still blinking when the thigh gets to 175..lol. If it takes longer than an hour..each extra five mins will knock it one place lower in the judging. Nearly built one of them things out of 55 gallon barrel and fire clay. There is how to instructions all over Alfgores super cyber hwy on how build one. I still might do it..lol. Anyway not sure how big that fine pizza oven happens to be but electric heating element solves all known issues.

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky