Newbie with MES question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loveno33

Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I am new to smokers.  I bought a 40" MES last week.  While precisely following the instruction book for preseasoning, the seal on the top edge of the glass door loosened and scorched the metal above the glass panel.  I exchanged it at Bass Pro for a new one not knowing whether the first model had a defect or the preseasoning instructions were not clear.  The instruction book says to close the air damper while cooking to retain moisture (except when cooking jerky or fish).  The salesman says that he always opens the damper once the it reaches the desired temp.  I don't know what brand smoker he has. 

Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions and experience with MES air dampers.

This forum is a great source of information, recipes and encouragement.  Thanks for sharing your exeriences.

i have the 40" mes and the only time i close the damper is when i'm heating the unit. Whenever i have meat in it the vent is fully open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky