Newbie on a chuckie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marty catka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
SE MI
The wife picked up a couple of chuckies at the grocery store the other day (buy 1 get 1 free).  They are small, approximately 2 1/2 lbs. each.  I'd like to do them Saturday for dinner about 7 pm or so.  These will be done in a charcoal Brinkman Gourmet that I just got.  I screwed up on cutting my dampers ( didn't leave enough space between the holes to cover when closed) and will be using almost as purchased.  I did get a new therm in the lid.  When I seasoned it with a pan of water and no food temps got up around 375.  But that was with quite a bit of fuel in the pan.  I figure I can get temps down by limiting the amount of fuel in the pan, but if I get down to about 250, how long should these things take?

Marty I would go for temp, not time.

Chuckies are awesome pulled, but they need to get to ~205° to pull.

I would say start early in the morning and when they get to temp, pull them off, wrap in foil and an old towel and put them in a cooler with the lid closed tight.

Any advice on prepping these babies?  Inject, marinate, rub......or all of the above? 

Any advice on prepping these babies?  Inject, marinate, rub......or all of the above? 
I've only done 2 of these so I am by no means an expert but they did come out really good. Basically I read a bunch of threads on here, asked a bunch of questions, got some really good advice from the many people who are far more knowledgeable than me, and then just sort of improvised with the rub, etc. The experimenting part is fun!  I used some ground salt and pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and a little thyme as a rub. I tried injecting them with beer, Worcestershire, and a splash of A-1 and then used the rest to marinade. I spritzed with beer during the smoke. 

Last edited:
Thanks rc.  I'll do some more research, but mostly on this forum.  What am I talking about, this is just about the only forum I frequent!  Of course it will be here. 

Maybe someone who's done a bunch of chuckies will do an article in the WIKI -- "fingers crossed" emoticon

I've been wanting to try one, too.  I'm THE MAN when it comes to pot roast in the crock pot, but I can't wait to smoke and slice a chuckie.

icon_cool.gif
 I would just thaw the meat and rub it the night before and Then wrap it in saran wrap and then leave it in the refrig for the night and then the next day when you take it out then you can apply somemore rub to it if you want. This will almost marinate the meat over night and add some good flavor to the meat. Then smoke it with the smoker at about 230-250 and I foil it at maybe 165* or so and then take it to 195* to slide (what I do) or to maybe 205*for pulling and after a smoke  the first one you will soon be the king of the smoker/grill.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky