Newbie in Minnesota

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funh2o

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Farmington, MN
Hi friends,
Just starting out with this serious smoking business. I have smoked fish before on a small Charcoal Brinkman which finally had to be tossed for a new smoker. Just purchased a Cabella's 48" vertical gas smoker and am anxious to try it out. Any suggestions from someone that owns this smoker would be greatly appreciated. Smoking in MN this time of year can be quite challenging and I might just wait until the temps outside warm up just a tad. I might try building some kind of shelter around the smoker to help hold the wind down while smoking. I have read a lot of the threads on this site and have found them very helpful. I'm sure I will have some questions for you all in the near future.

Happy Smokin.....Steve

Welcome, Steve! I'm in Minnesota, too, and smoking hasn't been too bad this winter. However, I am like you. I am considering building some type of shelter (probably portable to appease the boss) to make things a little easier.

And this is a great site. Not just for the information but for the awesome pix!

Hey, another one from Minnesota, welcome to the board.

I do the smoking in the garage with the door open at least a foot.

We are going to have to have a Minnesota get together so we can eat some good food

hi and welcome i have a gas smoker not like yours but it works the same way i just made a wind break for mine it works great i have been smoking all winter so far and we get the same kind of weather. enjoy your new smoker

Welcome Fun! Glad ya joined SMF. As mentioned Wind breaks help alot... just 3 half sheets of thin plywood will do the trick. I actually wrap my ECB with a natural fiber carpet... good for at least 50°, sometimes 75° or so. Don't be skeered! Get out there and SMOKE, Man!

Welcome to the SMF!
cool.gif

Welcome to SMF,
SOunds like you may have gotten the same one I did. If so you made a great buy mine works fantastic!! Just hang around and you'll pick up all kinds of useful tips and tecniques.

LS

FUNH2O
Welcome to SMF from your neighbor to the west !!!
I have smoked when it has been as cold as -20º, when it is that cold it is not as fun, but do able. Wind is more of our enemy for smoking almost anytime of the year.

If you all have a Minnesota get together I would love to be invited (I was born in Minnesota if that helps) !!! Hhmmm, we all pack our smokers up and head to We Fest the first weekend of August.....

FUNH20,
Welcome to the forum the MN get together would be great, smoking in this weather is a bit of a challenge but is still lots of fun. the garage is a good idea as is the windbreak, both make it work fine even when very cold. Don't wait just go for it!!!!

Welcome to the SMF, best smokin' site on the net. Read around and you'll learn plenty of great stuff... it only gets better.

Welcome to the best group of people. I'm a newbie myself and everyone here will help anyway they can. Happy Smokin!

Hi Steve Welcome to the SMF family . Building a portable windbreak is a must or smoke in a garage . A Minnesota get together would be great count me in .

Smoke' Joe - I live only 2 miles from St.Micheal ( it's a small world ) , what's his name ?

Uff Da! Lookit all dem Minisodan's!
Welcome to SMF!
Just scoop out a place in da snow and use it as a windbreak.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Where is the Minisoda smoke adventure going to happen? And when? And are ya providing the mosquito repellent? Not smokin' any lutefisk are ya?
Yeah, I used to live there, up in East Bethel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky