Newbie in Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jro6868

Original poster
May 24, 2008
Southwest Michigan
Hello all, glad to be here. I got turned on to this site about a week ago (shortly after I got my new Brinkmann SnP). Love what you got going on here. My name is Jeff, and I live in Coloma Michigan (southwest corner of the state).

I started smoking ribs in my gas grill years ago, with mixed results. Would put ribs on one side, flame on the other, add some chunks of hickory, and spritz them a lot. Also some experience smoking salmon and steelhead, turkeys, and the occasional chicken.

Last week, I smoked baby backs, and chicken quarters one one day. Made a fatty and some C S ribs two days later (been feeding lots of people). The next day, I fired her up and made 3 fatties. What a culinary delight the fatty is. Made one with breakfast sausage (stuffed with portabellos, onions, and mozzarella), one with Italian (50/50 mix of hot and sweet, and stuffed with mozzarella, pepperoni, and some pizza sauce), and a third out of ground chuck, stuffed with bacon and cheddar cheese. The burger one was a little dry, but tasted awesome. The beef should have been pulled a little earlier than the sausage, but this was before I purchased my thermometers, and I was winging it. The sausage ones were excellent, and were quickly gone (I made all three of them with 2lbs of meat. Good thing, the neighbors all smelled them and came over to investigate right as I was slicing the first one).

I love to cook as a hobby, and have traditionally stuck to the meat and potatoes fare (grew up on a farm, had meat, taters, and a veggie every night for dinner), but am learning some more advanced techniques in the kitchen now. Have been looking at an offset smoker for over a year, but never pulled the trigger. Can't understand now why I have not been doing this for years.

This site has been very helpful (such as the "standard mods" that I've made to my new smoker). I also purchased 2 Taylor digital thermos, and all of the standard flavors of wood chunks (I have access to apple and cherry wood from a local farmer who is sympathetic to my new addiction)The addition of the fatty to my repertoire was very welcome around my house.

I will be doing my first brisket in the next week or so (vacation next week), so I'll be sure to post a q-view for all to monitor my progress and offer up any criticisms or comments as I go. Certainly look forward to learning more from this group, and offering up any advice/assistance that I can.

Welcome to SMF, jro! This is a great place with tons of friendly folks that share the smoking passion that you're about to become addicted to!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Sounds like your trifecta of fatties was well received. The sounded good and now the neighbors are on to your hobby, when they see the tbs from your house, they may become more frequent visitors!

Good luck on your first brisket, I'm about to do mine this weekend. Have done my research on SMF and am as ready as I can be!

Again, welcome! We're glad you joined!

Welcome my Michigan brother!

Im from the Lansing area but very famaliar w/Coloma Michigan.
Im a former produce buyer and visited Bentor Harbor Mkt. a heck of a lot.

Glad you love your bbq.......your forever hooked and there is no........12 step program at this time.

Smoke on brother.

Mike

Welcome to the forum Jeff. Don't worry you can smoke the meat, taters and veggies
biggrin.gif
If you have any problems or need advice just ask and somebody will try to give you a good answer. Have Fun and Happy Smoking

Welcome Jeff. You will find lots of great recipes and info. If you don't find it just ask and the odds say someone will the info you need. Good luck on that brisket.

Welcome to the SMF, the best smokin' site this side of Mars. Keep reading around the forums, lots of great tips from great folks.

I did not wrap the chuck fatty (first mistake). I also did them before I had my thermos (second mistake). I did let the neighbors try it (third mistake), and it was gone before I got a second slice.

Definitely will do that one again. Great flavor, but could have come off about 30 min sooner.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Gotta work 12 hrs today and tomorrow (Sunday, gonna miss the race), then 10 days off. Gonna fish and get real familiar with the new smoker.

I have to set goals for myself, so here are the goals for the next 10 days:

1 - a limit of bluegills (at least one limit)
2 - a limit of rainbow trout (great in the smoker)
3 - a limit of walleye
4 - First butt in the smoker
5 - First brisket in the smoker
6 - Not anger the wife in any way trying to accomplish the first five goals!!

welcome to the forum from mn. u will love this site,great people who willing to help out when need arises. ck out the free ecourse. looking forward to qview from ur smokes!!!

Of course, I forgot to mention that I will have the Wings game on, as well as the Cubs. Got a TV and radio in my garage, and the smoker sits just outside.

Just signed up for the e-course.

On a side note, my wife is at a grad party right now. The grad was taking some courses in welding, and his final project was to make a grill. He chose to build a smoker, out of the front end of a car (open the hood, theres the goodies!). They are doing a whole hog in this thing today (must have been a full sized car). Asked her to take some pics of the rig, and the food. Can't wait to see it (and get my plate of food).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky