Newbie here with Canadian Bacon Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

campcook

Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Hi,
I'm new here and I'm really enjoying reading and learning. You sound like a great bunch of people.
I have a question. I purchased a pork loin with intention of making Canadian Bacon. I can't seem to find Tender Quick or Instacure #1 or anything else, so it looks like I will have to order some.
My question is this, can I freeze this pork loin and still make Canadian Bacon out of it at a later date ?
Thanks
CampCook

Welcome to the SMF CC! You are correct in that they are a great bunch that hang around here! To answer your question, you can freeze your loin (best if you have it already vacuum sealed or can seal it) prior to making your Canadian bacon, or...smoke that bad boy and enjoy it now and just buy another one when you get your cure!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Mac

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. As Mac says you certainly can do that. Heres a link to where I have been ordering my cures from and they are a pretty good place to deal with

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

Did'nt see where you are from on your profile.Normally any major grocery store has Tenderquik.In the seasoning section.Usually on the shelf with the bag salt.Otherwise ditto piney b-p is a damn good company.There price on 25# hog casings is the cheapist around.If you are into that also?Hope this helps

I use Butcher Packer almost exclusively for ingredients, cures, parts'n'pieces, bacon hooks, ham hooks, stockinette, etc.! Great place! They aren't flashy and don't have a whole lot in each catagory but what they do have is what you need and want, it's the right stuff at the right price.

Thank you all for your quick replies ! They sure helped a bunch !
It's nice to find people who are willing to help !

I've not been able to find Tenderquick at any store so far
icon_sad.gif
I've tried 3 different grocery stores, plus our hardware store who carries smokers and grilling stuff.

Pops ! I've got my eye on your "Arsenal". Love it !!! Do you have a "plan" or "blueprint" ??

This is probably another dumb question, but .....I will ask it anyways.

Since I want to make Canadian Bacon and then I plan to freeze it in small packages, is it necessary to have preservative (nitrite) in the curing brine ?
Yes, I want good flavor and yes I want good color but is it necessary to have preservatives ?
Can Canadian Bacon be smoked at a high enough temp to keep it safe during Smoking if it does not have nitrite in it ???

Actually, either way you answer, what temperature should I be using for Smoking Canadian Bacon ??

Thanks !!!

CampCook
from Colorado.......for curious minds
icon_wink.gif

If you don't cure it you will just have smoked pork loin you need to cure it to give it that hammy taste. The cure will also allow you to cold smoke it if you choose to seems different people have different methods. Personally I cold smoke it for 3 to 4 hours just using a couple charcoal briquettes in the chip pan with the wood chips. After the 3-4 hours I light the smoker and smoke at about 200-210 until I get the bacon to 155-160 internal. I do it this way because we use it cold for sandwiches. Others will cold smoke it and not even care about internal temps because they will cook it before eating.

I understand about curing for that hammy taste. My question is the use of the nitrites. Can I just cure with salt/sugar/water and not worry about the nitrites ? Since I will be probably doing like you and cold smoke then hot smoke with temp to 160 so the meat is fully cooked.
Thanks again
CampCook

I don't know where you're from in Colorado, but Albertson's has TQ here in Grand Junction. BTW, welcome to the forum.

I agree with some of the guys here too. I would smoke the loin and then order some insta-cure #1 and then when it gets in then go buy another loin for they stay up nights making them. The loin that is.

Yes you can freeze it, but look again in your area, because the darn shipping costs are more than the TQ.

Welcome to a great place to learn a lot!

Bearcarver

Pineywoods,
About how long after the 3-4 hr cold smoke, does it take to reach the ideal internal
temp ? Trying to plan my time frame
CampCook

Ya know...someone told me about Albertsons ! I called them and talked with 3 different people.......they sounded like they had no clue what I was talking about. I even talked with someone in the meat dept. You would think at least THEY would know what it was.
Thanks for that tip though :)
CampCook

CampCook,

Welcome to the Group!

I made sausage for the 1st time about 20 years ago. Got Cure from a local butcher who was glad to help.

If you can't find TQ, use kosher salt and Instacure #1. I've made bacon both ways, and honestly can't tell the difference. I will admit that using TQ is a little easier, but not a big deal. Only reason I purchased TQ is because the bacon recipe I followed called for it. Once I use up the bag, I'll most likely go back to Instacure #1 and Kosher Salt.

Lots of recipes on SMF for making bacon with TQ or Instacure #1. Invest in Rytek's book and you'll get a ton of very useful information. I think you'll find most everyone on the forum has Rytek's book.

Without Cure, you'll end up with "Smoked Pork Loin". The color will not turn pink and the flavor will not taste like Canadian Bacon. I suggest you head to a local butcher and he just may become a good friend!

Good Luck!

Todd

i get my tq at the local farmers co-op
check your farm and ranch co-op or store im not talk about tsc
county co-op
bacon hooks i bought 3/16 ss rod it came 12 foot long $10.50 made my owe hooks to high to buy and shipping will kill you get it at local steel co

I don't have my notebook with me but I think after I cranked the smoker to 225 it took about another 3-4 hours to get it to 160

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky