Newbie here, got a question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dyehard

Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Have any of you ever smoked a precooked ham? If so, what should the internal temp be when it is considered done since technically it is done when you put it on the smoker. Thanks in advance.

Smoking a pre-cooked ham is a path to some fine eats! It is already cooked, you are just adding that good smoky flavor. Here is some info from Jeff -

Smoked Ham
Most folks who do not cure their own hams (quite the long process by the way) will purchase a pre-cooked ham and throw it in the oven according to the directions on the package.
Well let me tell you how to take it to the next level, pop that baby in the smoker and keep it around 225 degrees and surrounded by smoke from your favorite wood for a few hours and you will have influenced the flavor of that ham in a remarkable way.
I do not think you need to take it all the way up to 160 or it may dry out too much on you but you can smoke it to around 140 or so and it will be extremely flavorful and delicious.
Make a mop out of 1 part pineapple juice and 3 parts honey and mop the ham generously every 30 minutes as it smokes.
Attach pineapple rings with toothpicks all over the ham and mop with pineapple juice every 30 minutes while it smokes.
You can do the mustard and rub (coat the ham with a thin coat of mustard and then coat it with rub)
(Smoke to temp.,140 deg.F, use remote thermometer, about 4-6 hours?)
Everyone will be asking for your smoked ham recipe even if you use a pre-cooked one.

MIKEâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]S NOTES -
•This is THE way to fix a ham! Used a whole 20 lb. Frickâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ham. Scored ham all over and put a whole clove at the intersection of each score. Smoked it 5 hours with hickory, basted with pineapple/honey (above). MOST FINE!
•May try apple smoke next time, or a hickory/apple mix.

This is easy and turns out great.
ENJOY!

What temp did you have to take it to to be able to pull it like a butt?

Note Jeff's comment about it drying out at higher temp. I've never seen a pulled pre-cooked ham, always just slice it. Anything is possible!
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Did a Ham this last weekend.....look in the Bacon section of the forum.

Easy smoke and the choices on how to utilizes the left-overs are numerous. When the hams go on sale I defiitely recommed picking up 2 or more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky