Newbie here and need ADVICE!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vervoren03

Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Hey everyone! I just got a Masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker and will do my first smoke within the next few weeks. I'm thinking I will do a pork loin or some kind of but. Here are some questions I have so hopefully you all can help me?

Do I need to use water in the water pan? If so how much?

Is it good to place the meat directly on the rack or have foil under it or even wrap?

How often should I be adding chips? I was thinking about doing a long smoke so probably cook at least 4 to 5 hours? Also what's a good temp for that?

Well that's it for now but I'm sure I will have more later

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Pork loin is inherently low in fat and moisture content and therefore not the best thing for A long smoke. You will end up with dried out pork. The real reason for water in the water pan is to help stabilize temperature. Think of it as A heat sink. Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit so say your smoker wants to run at 275 and you add a pan of hot water in there the temperature will end up to be like 225- 235 or so. I have not found that having a water pan increases moisture content in your meat. If I were you I would look to do a Boston Butt. They are very forgiving and everybody likes pulled pork. That said if you really want to do a tenderloin you could filet it open and stuff it with whatever you like and then wrap with bacon. The bacon keeps it moist and the filling steams it from the inside out to retain even more moisture. Even so, you still would be looking at a 2 hour smoke give or take. If you are worried about all that pork fat and bacon grease what happens is that almost all of that renders out in the smoking process basting the meat and leaving only that yummy flavor. Now I smoke over charcoal exclusively and do not have much experience with electric smokers so the amount of smoke chips and frequency of reloading them will have to be someone elses answer. I smoke the whole time myself as I like things smokey. Some people are sensitive to too much smoke and you will find different types of wood impart stronger, sweeter, lighter or darker flavors and colors. I like apple, cherry, and hickory on pork. I love Mesquite on chicken and beef but usually cut that with some fruit wood near the end for a touch of sweetness. I hope this helps a little bit. there is a lot of information on this site to answer all your questions and I believe quite a few modifications to get the most out of your new smoker. Happy smoking. timber  

welcome1.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: bubbastump
Thank you sooo much for the advice... Also I'm seeing a lot of AMNPS on the website... I know this is probably stupid but what is that referring to?

Todd is a member on this website and he makes smoke generators that use pellets and sawdust. It is a small unit that just sits in the bottom of your smoker and slowly smolders away to add more smoke to hot smoking or you can use one alone to do cold smoking like cheese and stuff. Type it into the search bar at the top of the page. He is also a forum sponsor and has an ad in the smoking accessories section. I have heard mixed reviews about use of those in your smoker but you might want to read up on it or contact todd directly. Maybe try going to the cold smoking part of the forum would be a good place to start. I am getting one of his units this spring when I get back to full time work. A-MAZE-N products is his company. He is very popular on here. Also I would recomend that you do Jeff's e-course and sign up for the newsletter. It is free and fun and well worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks again! I working on ordering a Maverick ET732 since I heard the gauge on the outside isn't that accurate.

Also how does cold smoking work?
That is a pretty loaded question. In a nutshell cold smoking is applying smoke to meat that has been cured or say cheese for relatively long periods of time at low temperature. Some cheeses melt at very low temperature but can be smoked at below that melting point in a cold smoking apparatus. I think this method of smoking is usually done in the cooler months of the year. There is a ton of information about times and techniques if you search cold smoking. The search bar is your friend on this one as there is way way too much to explain quickly. You can smoke just about everything imaginable though like from Butter to salt and even cream cheese or vegetables and fruits.

Howdee Josh looks like you're getting answers. If you would please, take a min and click the profile icon on the toolbar above and give some general info on your self, especially where ya hang your hat at night. By letting another know where geologically you are, better answers can be given and more intelligent discussions can be had. If you lived in the UK you probably couldn't get the same wood or in Vietnam your seafood different, or even in Boston you'd get nasty grits. LOL

When ya get a break, take a min. and enlighten us please.

Thank ye Thank ye..... 

Howdee Josh looks like you're getting answers. If you would please, take a min and click the profile icon on the toolbar above and give some general info on your self, especially where ya hang your hat at night. By letting another know where geologically you are, better answers can be given and more intelligent discussions can be had. If you lived in the UK you probably couldn't get the same wood or in Vietnam your seafood different, or even in Boston you'd get nasty grits. LOL

When ya get a break, take a min. and enlighten us please.

Thank ye Thank ye..... 
Hahahaha.... love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky