Newbie Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

royal85

Original poster
May 26, 2010
Hey guys, just found this site and theirs alot of great tips I've read so far. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm a fairly new backyard smoker. This weekend I am planning on smoking a pork butt and 2 slaps of St. Louis short ribs. I plan to use about half charcoal and half hickory/apple. One question I have always wondered about is the addition of a water pan. What is everyones opinion with them? Also, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Smoke on..

I always use a water pan (except for jerky, fish, and cheese) to keep things moist and temperatures stable (the water acts like a heat sink to reduce temp recovery times).  What kind of rig do you have?

Thanks for the help. I have a Kenmore with the pit in front. I'm not sure on the exact model but the pit is probably 3X4

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky