Newbie having disappointing results.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

puds123

Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Wasaga Beach Ontario
Hi everyone. 

I am very new to smoking and live in Ontario.  I am having problems getting my desired results and am hoping that you guys can help me!!

This week I purchased a Cajun Injector electric smoker.  Very excited I unpacked and set it up and did my 2 hour season smoke.  Wednesday, I got home from work eager to throw something into the smoker.  I had a small pork boneless rib roast - about 1.5lb, so I seasoned it with paprika, salt, pepper, garlic and brown sugar while I heated up the smoker.  Water in the tray and I used Sugar maple wood chunks.  When it was up to temp, I put the pork in, inserted the probe thermometer, shut the door and crossed my fingers.  I set the temp for 225.  I checked the wood chunks every so often and topped up when there was no smoke coming out of the top.  3 hrs later and when the inside temp registered at 145 degrees, I pulled the pork out.  The result wasn't a pulled pork texture, but more of a pork steak (probably the piece of meat I used) but it was wet and I didn't like the texture, so I let it sit for an hour or so and the texture improved, but the smoke flavour was WAY too much.  After tasting a little piece you were left with the smoke taste for an hour later.  Not pleasurable at all.

So I figured that the chips were maybe too strong or that the damper on the back should have been open more or that the piece of meat that I used wasn't suitable.

Thursday, I purchased a piece of Pork shoulder.  Nice marbling about 2.5lb.  Put a rub on it.  Heated up the smoker.  Used apple juice in the water dish.  Used hickory wood chips this time.  Put the meat in at 225 as per the recipe.  Topped up the chips when there was no smoke coming out of the top and opened up the damper fully.  Left it in for 4.5 hours. Got an inside temp to 145.  I removed it and let it rest for little while under foil for 4 hours and then I tried to pull it.  Nope......the outside was tough the inside was moist, but rubbery.  Again the smoke flavour was way too much.  I tried a tiny piece this morning before work and now 3 hours later I can still taste it.

What am I doing wrong OR do I just not like smoked pork!!!  :-)

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks

If you want to pull it you need to bring the IT (internal temperature) up to about 205*. What did the smoke look like coming out of the vent? White billowing smoke? or just thin light wisps of smoke? What you want is what is called TBS (thin blue smoke). Thick white smoke will overpower it and give it a creosote taste. There are a lot of good threads on here describing how to make perfect pulled pork. I recommend searching this forum and doing some reading before you continue. That's what I do anytime I want to try something new or make what I did better next time.

hello newbie, meat temp is key to pulling any meat, you need to get it over 200 so the meat will start to break down. in regards to the overpowering smoke flavor, you may be using to much wood for such small cuts of meat. for small cuts stick to one pan of chips for the flavor and then let the heat source finish the job.after the smoking part is done you can boost the temp up to 275 for a quicker finish, also may want to wrap in heavy foil the last hour to keep moister and flavor in. most meat, espescially pork tastes better when you rub or marinade 12 - 24 hours pryor to smoking or grilling. hope this helps , good luck,     pokem n smokem.

Read over this thread it's a very good method especially for beginners

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/57139/basic-pulled-pork-smoke

As for the smoke I suspect you used too much wood. What your looking for is Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) or no smoke and just the smell of the wood burning. If you can smell it so can the wood. White billowing smoke is not a good thing when smoking.

As for the internal temp the other posters are correct you need to take it to 200-205 for it to pull correctly.

Thanks for the info.  So today, I am trying again.  Pork picnic roast, bone in.  I set it for 225 put a rub on it.  I used applewood chips 1/4 cup.  Once it started smoking I got thick grey smoke, it has turned thinner now.  Now I am worried that I have already ruined this pork!!  It smells really smokey.  Anyway, I am 3 1/2 hours in and I have an inside temp of 130, but am going for a pulled pork so am prepared for the slow and low thing.  I am not adding more chips as I don't want it too smokey (if it isn't already too smokey!!!)  Oh the stress!!!  Just went out and bought buns and coleslaw for my pulled pork meal.......ok, I bought burgers too just in case!!!  :-)

How big is the picnic? Are you familiar with the stall/plateau? Sounds like you put it on around 11am, if it is very big it might still be cooking at midnight. I don't think that little bit of heavy smoke hurt anything, I usually get some heavy smoke just as the wood starts going and then it lightens up.

It is 3.5lb so not too big.  I just checked it and it is at 135 inside temp and looking quite good.  Yeah, I put it on at about 11am at 225.

Hello and glad to have you here - good luck with the second smoke - let us know if we can help 

So I waited until the inside temp was 165. It had been smoking for 12 hours!! The result was not too Smokey which I liked, but very dry. I wrapped it in foil and went to bed. This morning, I pulled what I could and probably have enough for 3 good sized sandwiches. :-( plus I have to cover it in BBQ sauce to moisten it. Seems like a whole lot of effort with not much reward. Maybe I should try brisket!!!

Check the thermometers your using including the one heating the smoker. I would suggest sticking with the pork butts until you have them down because brisket starts with less fat and is generally a bit harder to do correctly. Once you get the temps right I would suggest a bigger butt so you get more than a couple sandwiches. It also freezes and reheats very well

Excellent advise to you!

Check the therms.  Use the right meat for pulled.

Hang in there!  The experts in this forum will make you a pro in no time!

Good luck and good smoking.

So I waited until the inside temp was 165. It had been smoking for 12 hours!! The result was not too Smokey which I liked, but very dry. I wrapped it in foil and went to bed. This morning, I pulled what I could and probably have enough for 3 good sized sandwiches. :-( plus I have to cover it in BBQ sauce to moisten it. Seems like a whole lot of effort with not much reward. Maybe I should try brisket!!!
Pork will not "pull" untill the internal temp gets to at least 185°, bare minimum.

Couple things to do:
  • boil a pot of water, once it is boiling rapidly put the tip of your meat thermometer in the water and make sure it registers at 212° ± a few degrees (make note of the ± amount). If it is way off get a new probe that one is busted.
  • get your smoker running at what you think is 250° in the chamber, stick your now tested therm all the way through a small potato as far as it will go, and place it in your smoker. Wait for the temp. to level off and check the temp of your smoker - remember the ± amount from your therm test. Adjust the smoker till you get it actually running at 250 per the tested thermometer, make note of how its all set up to get that temp.
  • Now you know what your smoke chamber is actuall cooking at and can smoke meats with some confidence in your settings.
  • Buy a nice 4-6 lb. butt, put some rub on it, and toss it into the smoker with the smoker running at 250°. After 3 hrs. put your probe into the meat (not touching bone), close the door and leave it alone untill the internal temp of the meat gets to 165°....... This may take a long time! Each piece of meat is differant, and the temp usually stalls aroun 150° to 155° for several hours - Don't mess with it! It is during this stall that the low heat is breaking down all the fat and connective tissue and making the meat nice and tender!
  • Once you hit 165° for interal meat temps. wrap the butt in two layers of heavy foil or put it in a foil pan and cover it tightly. No nead to add anymore smoke wood at this point if you are foiling.
  • Leave it alone again, untill the internal temp. gets to at least 190° - but I would suggest 200°. Take it out of the smoker drain the juices out of the foil (Save them!), re-wrap the meat, the wrap a couple of old towels around it and either place it in a dry ice chest or some other small enclosed space (like the microwave - don't turn it on! LOL) and let it rest for 1 hr.
  • While the meat is resting de-fat the juices and set them aside.
  • After the agonizing hour wait, rip open the foil and shread that baby up! Put it in a pan/bowl and pour the saved juices over top and serve it up!

You can speed up your cook time if after wrapping in foil (around 165 tp 170º IT), you can raise your smoker temps up higher to 290 to 300º. After you hit the 200º internal mark, pop it in the cooler and let it rest for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. You should be good to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky