Newbie from SLC, Utah - Soon to smoke my first turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wiley coyote

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
SLC, Utah - Elevation 5,000ft.
I've learned a lot from this forum since last Christmas.  Decided I'd finally join and participate.  I'm smoking my first turkey for Thanksgiving...I sure hope it turns out.  I have an MES 40 2nd Gen with an AMNPS.  Wishing I had the 1st Gen.  Continue to have problems with air flow to keep my AMNPS smoking but like many have said in this forum - Smoking is an art form and with continued practice and MES Mods, my smoking skills will get better.  Thanks for all the help and advice I've learned from this forum while I've been on the sidelines.

Any suggestions on recipe's, seasonings, wood pellet flavors, or methods to smoke a turkey will be appreciated.

Welcome to the group!  You'll find that this is a great place to share ideas on smoking, grilling, etc.  There are plenty of folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Good luck with that turkey smoke!  I like to brine a turkey overnight before smoking.  Makes for a flavorful and juicy bird.  There are lots of good poultry brine recipes here, but I've pasted one of my favorites below.  And I like a mix of apple and hickory for smoking poultry.  Be sure to get the internal temp (IT) of the bird to 165-170* in the deepest parts of the breast and thigh (make sure your thermo meat probe doesn't touch bone or it'll screw with your temp readings).

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles

1 1⁄2 Gal Water
1⁄2 C Salt (pickling or kosher)
1⁄2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
2 tsp Celery Seed

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky