Newbie from OZ tackling 14lb leg (oh dear)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danthesmokeman

Original poster
May 31, 2008
G'day to the forum,

Just joined and haven't been to the roll call yet, no time for that when my first big smoke is around 12 hours away. Here are the details...

I've got an old weber kettle but am not confident of holding a steady temperature so am going with a gas bbq with the hood. Just practised this arvo and know how to set the burners to hold the magical 225. Bought a digitial weber temp device today and think I've figured how it works but any tips would be great.

I've got a top butcher down the road and at short notice ended up with a 6kg (14lb) piece of pork leg that had been lightly brined. I've rubbed it with a wolfgang puck mix I saw at the foodnetwork that I've tried once before on a roast and worked well. And right now I can't wait to start cooking lil wilbur and seeing how it all turns out.

The rough plan is to follow meows method as posted and play it by ear. The leg still has the fat layer on - should I cook it at the top or at the bottom? Because it's such a big piece, I'm planning to smoke it at 225 for a few hours until meat temp hits 140 then crank the temp up to around 250-275. I still want to have the beast done within 10-12 hours. Would these temps work?

Thanks in advance, will post the results!

It will take longer than 12 hrs,probly 16-18hrs or more. careful with those temps if there is much suger in your rub, it will burn/char on ya. i always remove the skin from the meat, hard to get smoke through a football.
Would this be a whole shoulder? i have done a few and like them.
Good luck and have fun.

The rub/sugar content IS important Dan as S.B. mentioned. If there's more that maybe 15%, cut it down to about that...

And what about a mop sauce? I like Cider vinegar and bourbon as a base, onion powder, black pepper and a couple tablespoons of butter. Something that big..use a cup of each liquid... simmer for a few min. in a sauce pan. Apply mop gently as to not wash off the rub, and apply after about an hour in the smoker, at about maybe 45 min. intervals. Do it quick, so you don't lose a ton of heat.

Thanks for the tips. It's a whole boned leg, the butcher was out of shoulders. I would have preferred getting a butt and I couldn't wait til next week.The sugar is probably around 15% so I might add a bit more rub mix without any more sugar. I'd forgotten about doing a mop but will do now, a nice vinegary mix.

Thinking now I'll start it tonight otherwise we won't be eating til 10pm tomorrow.

Just a thought.....if it is already de-boned....maybe finish splitting it....thus getting two smaller pieces, thereby cutting your cook/smoke time substantially........??

it's your smoke...so, it's your call..
wink.gif

L8r,
Eric

Started the one big piece before you'd posted earache, would have made sense though. Here's the update...

After starting the smoke at midnight the internal temp was 144 at 9am this morning (10:30am now). This seemed a bit lower then I was expecting so I've added a bit more heat. The air temp at the top of the meat was around 240 but I figured it would be cooler at the bottom and at the end corners. I've now got it up to 250, there's no sign of any caramelizing either. Is this a good way to try to estimate heat?

Started mopping an hour ago and will continue, got a 50/50 mix of bragg's apple cider vinegar and maker's mark bourbon (only bottle I had), some tabasco, a teaspoon of butter and some salt which I forgot to add to the rub.

I was planning to flip it over soon. When it hits 160-170, should I foil wrap it like I've read here or just keep mopping? Smells bloody good...

Yes I was planning to pull it, do I keep the temp the same or turn it up? Will foil it like you said after adding a bit of apple juice. cheers

I would pick up another digital thermo and use it to keep better track of the temp where the meat is on the smoker. I tried using the gauge in the hood and it did not produce the best Q, too much guessing involved..

sounds like your having a good smoke so far.. Its gonna be a long day..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky