Newbie from Denver Colorado

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by jim79, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jim79

jim79 Newbie

Hi im Jim,

I just moved to Denver from Baltimore MD. I used to do a bit of smoking in Baltimore now i have to find out how to smoke at altitude.

I use a brinkmen smoker.

Well thats all for now

2. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome to the board Jim.

I've spent a couple terms in Denver for training while in the USAF. Beautiful area. I think my wife has family in Aurora.

The air's thinner up there, I wonder if the thin blue is too. [​IMG]

Hope you get busy with that Brinkmann real soon. :D

3. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the Forum Jim. I used to live in Denver some 30+ years ago.
    About the only thing altitude affects is your smoke/cook times and fuel-your smoke/cook will be longer so you will need ample fuel. The things I cook in the valley always take longer in the mountains because of the altitude.

4. bigdaddyviking67

bigdaddyviking67 Smoke Blower OTBS Member

Welcome Jim, I too used to live in Colorado. What I remember most is the effects of drinking beer for the first few times at a higher altitude wow. But Earl is right it does take longer. If you get a chance go to pikes peak, the view is breath taking...Bring a six pack with, and a DD.

5. jlloyd99

jlloyd99 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Welcome to the forum Jim. I also lived in Denver for awhile as well and the Greeley and Ft. Collins area. It's a real treat up there in the mountins and I hope you enjoy it. The longer cook times do have a silver lining, you'll have more excuses to go out and check the smoker and drink a few more beers! Hope you enjoy the forum as well.

6. scott in kc

scott in kc Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Jim, Welcome from another who's spent some time at Lowry AFB. Very beautiful country where you're at (just a little envious). The other challenge I've heard from others in your area is that quality smokin' wood can be a little hard to find, hurray for UPS!!

7. pg

pg Fire Starter

Hi, Jim....I'm live in Denver (actually Thornton), own a business in Aurora. Love it here! Also some great smoke competitions in the mountains around Frisco.

Thegozzzz

8. starsfaninco

starsfaninco Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome Jim,
    I too live in the Denver area. You'll find everything costs more here, and good luck finding a whole packer brisket and if you do pm me :) Actually, I can recommend a great butcher out in Aurora (Sam's Meats). Much better than Tony's and cheaper too. Anyway, welcome to smoking a mile high.

KE