Newbie from Central California!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leftcoaster

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hi and let everyone know I'll be stalking these halls now!
I'm a KCBS CBJ that wants to start a comp team eventually. Unfortunately, bbq comps aren't real big in my area (Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez) so there aren't too many folk around here who know what that means. Most everyone thinks BBQ is a tri-tip and some chicken halves on a grill directly over the fire. Nothing wrong with that, but its not "Low-n-Slow".
I have an Oklahoma Joe off set, an electric smoker, a gas grill, 1 22" weber, and an Ugly Drum Smoker I built from directions and parts from BBQIt Right.com and BigPoppaSmokers.com!
I just came back from a cooking school with Killer Hogs and Sweet Swine O' Mine in Mississippi and I've also taken a class from Harry Soo - "Slap Yo' Daddy" BBQ.
I'm real interested in getting one of the new Meadow Creek BX50 box smokers, but no one has them in stock yet!
Anyway, hope to be chattin with ya soon!

Welcome LC!  Glad you found SMF.  With all the classes you're taking and the Q you're judging we'll be learn'n from you!  I just looked up that Meadow Creek BX50 and that's one serious rig!  Be sure to share pics of your Q.  We love it when our mouth starts watering!

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Gary[/h3]

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Right on, 

I'm up the road in Napa County. Have you found any good schools, festivals or comps in California that are worth attending? The only good one I've come to know of is the rib comp in Reno. 

Yes! KCBS and the Calif BBQ Assoc both have lots of them, just not here on the Central Coast. I'm judging one in Sacramento the last weekend of this moth that's put on by Sam's Club. There's several in the Bay/Sac area coming up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky