Newbie From California

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeassassin

Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
California
Just a quick introduction from California. Purchased the 30" master built smoker two weeks ago. Did some babyback last week and the wife wanted me to do a brisket this week. A little ambitious I know but I like to jump in with both feet. It's been smoking for 4 1/2 hours now, my only concern is it might be a late dinner tonight. I plan on pulling it at 170 and wrapping it in foil and finishing it off in the smoker. The thermometer that came equipped with the smoker seems to be way off so I am using a digital that I already had. Guess I'll see how this turns out lol

Welcome SmokeAssassin from a fellow Californian.  I look forward to seeing your posts and QView in the future.  BTW, as you've noticed, the therm that comes with your smoker is worthless.  You are on the correct path with a quality therm of your own.

Happy smoking.

I know there is a stall in cooking but this thing has been stuck at 150 for 2 hours. I'm about to go get dinner and chalk this up to a learning experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome SmokAssassin!  Glad you found the SMF family.  Welcome and we look forward to your smokin' creations.  Lets see, it's been about another four hours since your first smoke.  How'd the brisket turn out?

California seems to be a pretty big community.  What part of California do you belong to?

I'm from central california, Tulare county. I'm still waiting on that brisket. I gave up on it for dinner tonight and will just have to settle for sandwiches tomorrow I guess.

Shhhh, don't tell anybody, but personally, if I've put down a good layer of hickory or mesquite smoke for about 4 hours, I wrap in HD aluminum foil with the drippings or a little beef broth about 30 minutes after the meat has stalled.  Then I crank up the temp on the smoker to about 275-300F until I reach my 200F target IT.  Then let it rest for an hour or more.  Always flavorful with a nice smoke ring.  Soft bark but I don't care.  I can finish an 8-10 lb brisket in as little as 6-8 hours, juicy and tender.  

SmokeAssassin, you'll figure out what works for you.  That's half the fun of smoking!

Welcome to the forum , Well how did it turn out ? any pictures?  glad to have you here, Brisket does take a long time, that's why if I wanting it for supper I get up real early to put it on. You just can't rush a good brisket !!!

Gary S

I looks good lol..... I finally pulled it out at midnight last night and put it straight in the fridge and went to bed. Have a birthday party to attend today so maybe I can slice it up tonight for dinner. It took a total of 15 hours and I pulled it out with an IT of 195.
What would be the best way to reheat it? It hasn't been sliced yet, should I just slice it up and throw it in a crock put with some thinned out bbq sauce?

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Well I'm at my brother in-laws house for a birthday party and he has a treager. Long story short I'm returning the master built and buying a treager. Should of done it to begin with but I thought the master built was good enough but this is the second time I've had meat from this smoker and it can't be beat.

Well I'm at my brother in-laws house for a birthday party and he has a treager. Long story short I'm returning the master built and buying a treager. Should of done it to begin with but I thought the master built was good enough but this is the second time I've had meat from this smoker and it can't be beat.

Have a GMG pellet grill & love it !!! Such a pleasure to use and temps hold rock solid !

Well I pulled the trigger and stopped by Costco on the way home and grabbed the Traeger. I haven't used it of course and it's actually still in the box sitting in the garage but I'm already ecstatic that I made the change from the MES 30. Can't wait for my first smoke with it. By the way the brisket did turn out very good, the wife loved it, still glad I got the Traeger though lol.

I've had a MB electric analog for the past year and I have created wonderful meats.  I bit the bullet and bought a basically new Traeger BBQ075 for $300 and I've have only had one chance to use it so far and that was a tri tip at 275*.to an internal temp of 145* 

Because of the short time tri tips take to cook, the smoke ring was thin(<1/8") and smoke flavor was minimal(traeger pecan pellets).  As I understand, the higher temps tend prevent the pellets from creating as much smoke because higher temps create a more perfect burn.  Therefore, not as much smoke.  It was OK.

The following day, I did another tri tip in my MB analog(and a PID controller) with an amaz'n pellet tray and maple pellets..  The  smoke flavor was more pronounced and quite honestly, better.  Of course, no smoke ring but no big deal...

So, as for this little experiment, the MB analog smoker with pellet tray beat Traeger, hands down.  Less operating cost, too.  

The next tri tip will be in the traeger with a pellet .  Once this is done, It will be more equal test.

About a month ago, I smoked a store bought cured/cooked ham butt.  I don't think this would have as easily been done in a traeger and I doubt the flavor would be the same.   Smoked salmom, cheese, garlic, peppers and other things

Now, this opinion is also based on an empty nest home and I "usually" cook for just the 2 of us and rarely do I wish I had a larger unit which I hope the trager will fill.

-brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky