Newbie from Cal.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worknplay

Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Placerville, CA.
Name is Jerry, just got a Brinkmann for the old 50th birthday. Already got it cured and ready to. Look forward to learning all the in's and out's of cooking.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the forum Jerry. Sign up for Jeff's 5-day ecourse. Its got a ton of great info in it and its free. You have picked the right place to learn since everyone here is always willing to help with questions you may have.
Don't forget to post the q-view picks of your smokes. We all love to droole over the food.

May all you smokes be thin and blue.

Hi Jerry - welcome to SMF! This is a great place that will give ya all ya need to know about the fine art of smokin' meats. I suggest signing up for the free 5-day eCourse offered by the creator of this forum, Jeff. Has all the info needed to get ya started.

Don't be afraid to ask questions! Good luck with your new rig!

Hi Jerry,

If you do the 5 day course like has been suggested, you will see some thoughts about buying a rub and sauce reciep. Not only does it help the forum but both recipes are awesome! What I'm saying... is that it's well worth it!

I look forward to reading many posts about your successful smokes.

the big 50, its the new 30 you know!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif
congrats on your new smoker. I hope cal fire dosn't harrass you to much with the new smoke you'll be blowin.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif
icon_smile.gif

Wecome to SMF Jerry from Jerry you'll find lots of good info and recipes around here. People are also very nice and willing to help when you have questions. Have Fun and Happy Smoking

Thanks for the warm welcome.
As we speak?....the coals are started and am going to put on a tri-tip (2 lbs) and a small rack of baby backs.
Just rubbed some olive oil on them and some salt and pepper, and a little store bought dry rub.

First question.

Do I need a drip pan underneath. The water will be underneath. So here I am, bowing to all who have come before with knowledge far greater than mine.

Thanks in advance
Jerry

Just the standard model from Home Depot ($60). The ol' Brinkmann Charcoal Smoker.
Didnt want to drop alot of $$ till I get the hang of it.

Hello Jerry, welcome to the SMF. Congrats on the new smoker, looks like you're jumpin' in head first!

Thanks for the advice. The directions that came with the smoker said fill the water pan about a inch below the top. I did that, I could not get the temp up even to 175. So I just poured out the water, left the drip pan that was already in there, and guess what, the temp came up.

I know this is old news to ya'll, but I still is a learnin, jeez, I just started.
icon_smile.gif

Oh this is gonna be fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly folks around here with tons of knowledge and ideas. Just browse through the threads and check out anything that catches your eye. Be sure to throw your two cents in anytime you can.

If you have the Brinkmann gourmet charcoal smoker....affectionately known as an "ecb"....or, el cheapo brinkmann.....the water pan also acts as a drip pan.

Adding water to it will help keep your temps stable......I always add boiling water before I start smoking.....this eliminates a lot time waiting for the smoker to get up to temp. You don't necessarily have to fill the pan full....but having SOME water in the pan will help slow down the rate at which your meats lose moisture while being smoked. And adding some boiling water throughout a long smoke will benefit you also.

An easy way to do this is to get one of those cheap plant waterers with the long spout.....just open the side door and pour into the pan....
wink.gif

Hope this helps,
Eric

At this point, anything is gonna help.
Will do with the water. Makes sense.

Will see how this turns out, but can already tell, this is a great group of "smokers".

Thanks again..now just waiting for dinner

The avatar is for my dad.
25 years Air Force. 3 tours in Nam, 1 in Korea. Gunner, and kick *** dude.

Me, 25 years fire service. Thanks for noticing.

Took the 1st batch off the smoker, baby backs were awesome, tri-tip took a little bit longer to cook... Oh well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky