newbie- frist smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petree

Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I wanting to start smoking but not sure about what to buy. can anyone give some info on a good starter smoker.

the gosm is what a lot use. if ya want a set it & forget it kinda deal. i go w/ an offset & tend a wood fire. look down the sections to "types of smokers"- that'll tell you just about every kind of smoker /pit there is.

Easiest are the electric and propane smokers. They vary in sizes, depending on the number of intended victims. A consideration is where you would put your smoker.

Charcoal and wood burning smokers require a lot more attention.

if you really want to learn the art & learn "pit tending" this is small- easy & lasts ferever . it's idiot proof(no offense) and you will swear by it the rest of your life. http://www.oldsmokey.com/0210OS.html go w/ the jumbo- put your coals/wood to 1 side. open the bottom flue 1/2 way & top flue 1/4-1/2 - i guarantee it. but if ya live near salt air- out of the box- replace all screws/bolts w/ stainless. i've had this thing on a boat in the gulf of mexi & the pacific ocean- it still lasted 3 years daily soaked w/ salt water,fresh, & 100% humidity. for about $39.00 ya can't beat it.

thanks for the info you have given me some things to think about. I'll let you know what I decide.

FWIW..I have the Chargriller Super Pro and love it. I have the SFB, and you can use the cooking section as a regular grill as well. Did 3 simple mods right out of the box and boom, done. Cooks great and have been turning out some mighty fine Q. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky