Newb with a ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edsaws

Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
N E CT
Hey everyone, I've built a UDS and gave her a trial smoke run which went ok but the burn time wasn't all that long a good 3 hrs @ 215-225 deg. then she petered out. I figured I need a bigger basket for the charcoal did a little more surfin and found this one from danbury which is a lot bigger than the one I have know.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/My BBQ and Cooking Pics/UglyDrumSmoker03.jpg

So my ? is when firin' this badgirl up should I fill the basket with charcoal then add say 1/2 a chimney of hot coal to the center then adjust the airflow for the desired temp ?

I don't have one of your smokers but I would still say to pyramid the coals then, at the base on one or two sides add some hot coals. This will get the rest of them going, a little more slowly and give you a longer burn time.

The basket in the pic looks to be a good size. What I do is; fill the basket all the way up just leaving room for about 10 to 15 briquettes. Then I light up the 10 to 15 briquettes and make sure they are nice and glowing before I add them to the unlit coals. Dump them in the middle with all vents open. When you reach the 200 degree mark close one vent, at 220 close all but one vent. After that adjust the air flow of the remaining intake to get the desired temps. Mine likes to cruise 240 to 250F.

Hope this helps.

Rick covered it very well for you. You should be getting a lot longer burn time than that. Load that basket right up. If it peters out you may need to shake the drum lightly to drop some ash out of the basket. You also may need to open up more on your intakes too.

If your basket is too small you may not have the fuel capacity for a long burn. My basket is 13.5" diameter X 12" high. That is a lot of fuel. Do you know what your dimentions are or have a pic?

Here is my basket

Rick,
I read his post as saying that his basket was smaller than the one in the pic he posted. I think that is what he was eluding to. Here is his wording. Maybe I read it wrong.

Hey everyone, I've built a UDS and gave her a trial smoke run which went ok but the burn time wasn't all that long a good 3 hrs @ 215-225 deg. then she petered out. I figured I need a bigger basket for the charcoal did a little more surfin and found this one from danbury which is a lot bigger than the one I have know.

Did you find this basket at a store in Danbury? I have a small basket and would like to get a bigger one with a handle on it but have no idea how these guys are constructing theirs...

Also I would recommend one of these...its been invaluable in starting coals for me.

JT850_lg.jpg

You can get it a lowes, propane canisters for this are around 2$

http://bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORC...3/Default.aspx

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses, I just ran out to get a pc of expanded sheet metal to make the basket in my 1st post.

Rick thats just the kind of info I needed Thanks

Div I found that pic of the basket in the UDS Sticky at the top of this page "danbury" posted it here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...0&postcount=23

Gotta go make me a new basket now. Can someone give me an idea how long it takes to cook a fattie ? Might give it a try if time permits.

I thought u meant u found one in Danbury CT cause im in CT ...and where did u find the expanded metal at ?

I actually got it a Sears Hardware $18.00 24"x24". HD had 12"x24. Give me a few minutes and I'll post some pics of the new basket and my fisrt fatties
cool.gif

I fill that basket all the way up. I never ever use all that lump charcoal when I bbq and when I shut off the valves and stack, the coals die and it's there waiting for me next time.
I've built about a dozen or so UDSs for some neighbors and friends the past year and the baskets are all the same as my original in that picture.
Sorry didn't get to reply to this till now....

The dimensions in the picture are what it actually says.
I start my coals with a weed burner. There's a picture of that around here somewhere as well.
I built my basket(s). I can weld just good enough to get away with what I do.

Sorry that I keep editing this, but I keep seeing things in the other posts that I neglected to answer.

Hey danbury, heres some pics my basket its a tad smaller 16" across and 8" deep and not as purdy but functional I guess. I did add a handle to pick it out of the barrel

Heres my 1st attempt at fatties bacon cheeseburg

ready to go yeah I know kinda skimpy on the bacon but its all I had.

Let there be smoke and yes I'm enjoying a cold one or 2 while I wait

Ed

That'll work just fine edsaws. Looks good to me. I don't think those coals are going to know the difference.

Ok heres the fatties cooked a little to long had the wrong probe for the thermometer I used oops. Tookem off @ 168 deg

Sorry no pics of the inside delishousness they disappeared before I realised I didn't get a shot.
icon_sad.gif

You gotta be quick with things like that, once people get one taste the entire thing could vanish quicker than you can turn your head.
Looks great though, congrats on a successful smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky