Newb question about curing.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nichiowa

Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
So I know this is probably common knowledge here, but I can not wrap my head around it.  Why does everyone cure their meat if they are just going to smoke and cook it until it gets to a "safe" internal temp?  It does not make sense why I would cure something just to cook it, I was under the assumption that when meat is cured it is safe at that point.  Please enlighten me as I as seriously confused at this point.

When you smoke meat, that happens in a reduced oxygen environment.... If smoking takes a long time, that is a ripe environment for botulism and other food borne pathogens to grow... warm, moist, low oxygen is perfect for botulism.... ground meats like sausage, are especially susceptible.... You can kill botulism at about 185 deg. F but that won't kill the spores... spores will die somewhere around 240 deg. F....

Last edited:
It depends on the temp you smoke at, what you're smoking, and how long it takes the product to achieve a safe IT.

So the curing is to make it safe to take an extended amount of time to smoke and get to optimal tamp then?
Generally speaking, yes. Cured products are usually smoked at a lower temperature than uncured products for a longer period of time. Raw products such as pork butt, uncured sausage, etc. are smoked at higher temps, usually above 200 degrees while cured products are started at and smoked at much lower temps like 160-180 degrees. The cure is there to prevent pathogens from developing at those lower temps. Hope this helps.

So I know this is probably common knowledge here, but I can not wrap my head around it.  Why does everyone cure their meat if they are just going to smoke and cook it until it gets to a "safe" internal temp?  It does not make sense why I would cure something just to cook it, I was under the assumption that when meat is cured it is safe at that point.  Please enlighten me as I as seriously confused at this point.
Flavor my friend, flavor.  In order to get the wonderful flavor of fully cured bacon,  cure for the cure manufacturers recommended  curing  time.  This is important for the long slow smoking times required for the ultimate end result.  This is not the time to cut corners.  Your patience will be well rewarded.

T  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky