New Zealand Green Lip Mussels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, I remember the stone crabs in mustard sauce from when living in South Beach  - "Joe's" etc.. They're tasty treats!

And Krug is my favorite bubbly (though I'm partial to Champagnes from Reims in general anyway, but adore Krug the most) and so lucky YOU, as your menu sounds fantastic!!!

And shall there be anything smoked for you that day?

In any event, you certainly have a great palate and some access to some very lovely food/libation! Enjoy!!! Such wonderful stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!! - Leah

Yes, I remember the stone crabs in mustard sauce from when living in South Beach  - "Joe's" etc.. They're tasty treats!

And Krug is my favorite bubbly (though I'm partial to Champagnes from Reims in general anyway, but adore Krug the most) and so lucky YOU, as your menu sounds fantastic!!!

And shall there be anything smoked for you that day?

In any event, you certainly have a great palate and some access to some very lovely food/libation! Enjoy!!! Such wonderful stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!! - Leah

I may do prime rib on the Egg.

Well enjoy your prime rib smoked on your egg, Craig! That too sounds great.

And I look forward to hearing what everyone is having! Maybe someone will start a "What's for dinner" thread for that day.

Meanwhile, happy weekend!!!!! Indeed! Cheers! - Leah

Hey Leah
Just wached your video on gren lipped mussels.  Gotta say, you're crazier than the worm in a bottle of mescal.  BUT I love your posts and would really like to meet you LOL  keep cooking and keep posting girl  Nobody ever said we have to be normal--Ha Ha whatever your normal is.

Gary

Me???? Crazy???

Now which part?

The fact that I eat mussels, or that I show up wearing a bed sheet, or now what makes me crazy??? What precisely? Smiles.

Now, now, to each their own opinions, and THANK YOU so much for watching my video! How kind of you!!

Happy Friday to you and here's to mollusks and magical meals for all!!!!

It would be fun to meet indeed and I always wish that there was one big round table - literally - with everyone on this site, and that we all shared our recipes while getting to actually taste them!!!

A good thought!

Cheers!!!!! - Leah

Both these would suit you the Pinot is from NZ,the GSM from Barossa Valley was great & big 15% alcohol.Label says preservative 220 don't know what that is.
Oysters then prawns all bought from the fisherman direct for starters ,then big roast pork dinner.
I have to go via the site not direct for Leah from IPad .

Hi Mick!

That's sulfur dioxide (220) and thank you for sharing the labels!!! (I am on a new hunt checking for NZ & Australian finds here).

It sounds like you're eating and drinking some delicious things!!!! Cheers!!!!!!! - Leah

That's so helpful Mick!!!

There certainly are some better made "quick picks" or affordable options that alas do not make me react with a rash and reaction to chemicals, which hail from your part of the world and New Zealand too!

(This screw cap "Monkey Bay" Sav Blanc is one of the first "New World" wines, in that price bracket, that did NOT make me react)! I am shocked and delighted therefore! It's no mean feat! So maybe it's only sulfur indeed that some are adding there.

(Whereas some South American wineries that were once pure and are now purchased/owned by Americans marketing such for mass volume, are pumped FULL of so much garbage that even a couple sips will erupt upon my skin)! It's interesting stuff.

Anyway, I'm buying up all the mussels this weekend (thus I apologize to those who are receiving this thread who are so tired of hearing about mussels or seeing them) while my fishmonger has them, and so today's lunch was, "sweet potato-buckwheat" soba noodles, and more New Zealand mussels, and spinach.

And why is that the SIMPLEST things in life, the very simple, simple, things, are really the best??? (And that funny "Monkey Bay" Sav paired just perfectly)!

DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, happy all! And I'll keep hunting for some of the labels you shared.

Cheers to all! - Leah

Both these would suit you the Pinot is from NZ,the GSM from Barossa Valley was great & big 15% alcohol.Label says preservative 220 don't know what that is.
Oysters then prawns all bought from the fisherman direct for starters ,then big roast pork dinner.
I have to go via the site not direct for Leah from IPad .
Some nice wine picks you have there Mick. I had the Dog Point Pinot for the first time recently at a restaurant in the Chicago area. I don't recall the vintage, but it was excellent, and reasonable. I also like their SBs.

In the background of the second picture it looks like a Robert Oakley Mudgee Shiraz which I enjoy as well.

Last edited:
House full of visitors so no shortage of wine! That Dog Point is a good drop, I don't drink much Pinot Noir. It's hard to get right here,Tasmania ,Victoria best options but expensive.
The NZ wineries make some good Pinot but struggle with Cabernet & Shiraz .
I will stick a few labels in here from time to time so Leah can find some that suit her .

House full of visitors so no shortage of wine! That Dog Point is a good drop, I don't drink much Pinot Noir. It's hard to get right here,Tasmania ,Victoria best options but expensive.
The NZ wineries make some good Pinot but struggle with Cabernet & Shiraz .
I will stick a few labels in here from time to time so Leah can find some that suit her .
I checked the wine list of the restaurant where I had the Dog Point and it goes for $50USD. Not bad since the restaurant markup is usually 2X or 3X retail.

They also have a selection of Australian wines from Tapestry, Moolydooker, and one of my favorite producers, D"Arenberg. All in the McLaren Vale area, I believe.

That's so very thoughtful and helpful Mick! (Sharing some wines)! Thank you tons!

We do have a lot of Mollydooker here, and d'Arenberg's "Llaughing Magpie" etc., and also the "Two Hands" wines - (ironically, it was precisely four New Year's Eve's ago, when I was drinking their "Ares" Shiraz on Dec 31rst and with a rack of luscious elk chops - bone in - just grilled "black & blue" and cold in the middle)! Deliciius stuff.

Anyway, if you feel up to it sometime, you could even start a thread in the wine group, devoted to Aussie & New Zealand wines!!!?? That would be wonderful!

(My hope is that in 2014, more folk join the wine group and share all that they wish, and realize that nobody will be graded or judged, and that there's no snooty attitude, and that everyone is welcome etc..., and so I'm planning to add more fun to that group too).

OK, meanwhile, here is a fabulous toast to all! Happy Sunday!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Hey Leah

Do you ever sleep???  LOL  I know I don't much, but near as I can see, you do so even less.  As far as the wine goes, it is the sulfer content that is probably affecting you adversly.  My sister in law can't handle it at all.  Her body temp skyrockets, she goes beet red, and suffers terribly.  She can drink my home made wine as I don't sulfite it.  Just saying.  Stay well girl

Gary

Hi Gary!!!

Sleep? Yes indeed!

I sleep from 7pm to 3 a.m. each night, and wake a few brief times to release all that I drink, (hey now, just seeing if anyone is actually reading this and thus "unsubscribing" or such), smiles, but yes, I sleep 8 hours with a couple little interruptions and dog outings and such, but get back to sleep until 3 - when I emerge, without an alarm, on each day, and excited to embrace the new fabulous gift of a day!

Thankfully, I haven't any sulphur allergy or sulfites or sulfates. (I conduct wine tastings for some of my earnings and thus that would really put a damper on things).

BUT, I am extremely allergic to chemicals - DEET in bug spray, PERMETHRIN in topical "dog's tick preventative applications," and retinol in lady's anti-wrinkle face creams, and the tree wool resin used on waxed oil trench coats or field jackets, skeet shooting attire etc.; and wool, and wheat, and recently, cringe as this makes me, I learned I am now allergic to eggs!!!!???

I'm just damn lucky that I do eat as much exotic stuff that I do, and so giving up eggs is not the end of the world, I suppose, but if there could be one sensitive "Sally" when it comes to reactions to some things, OH BOY, do I make the cut!

And so, I have to drink wines without added chemicals (today that is an interesting path but I do find them, daily, and for which I am grateful) and use good skincare and not wear bug spray, nor even brush up against someone wearing a "waxed field jacket" (so much as I love those J. Peterman style, long, oil slicked trench coats) and now, sigh, not eat eggs!

Oh, and I'm allergic to negative, easily intimidated, and insecure and scared people, who are thus mean! But then I simply avoid those and hence spare myself an outbreak! Smiles.

Good to hear that your sister in-law is in touch with her culprit and that you can help her even with your home vino!!!

I think once everyone is "onto" what their system doesn't like, it isn't such a big deal to create a fabulous new life without those things. It's just the initial upset and annoyance and of course shock.

Anyway great YOU, happy wind up of 2013!!!!!!!!!!! (Boy, people sure learn more than they ever wanted to know via these food threads right)? Smiles. Happy all!!!! Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Leah

...And silly me, ranting about ailments and such (but the question begged for it), smiles, but I forgot to include today's New Zealand Green Lip mussel ARUGULA SALAD!

And it was WON-DER-FUL!

So if anyone was getting irate that this thread had gone to the allergists's instead of the ocean; here's today's lunch!

And here's to more SMOKED versions of all great foods soon!

Cheers! - Leah

I checked the wine list of the restaurant where I had the Dog Point and it goes for $50USD. Not bad since the restaurant markup is usually 2X or 3X retail.

They also have a selection of Australian wines from Tapestry, Moolydooker, and one of my favorite producers, D"Arenberg. All in the McLaren Vale area, I believe.
D'Arenberg are a class outfit. McClaren Vale ,Barossa Valley & Clare Valley all close together in South Australia. Lot of great wine from that State.
I will try to do something in Wino,s group.
I like to support the little guy ,so I buy from family run wineries a lot. Big companies turn out some rubbish & generic stuff, not all of it but ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky