New YS640 owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rdalemercer

Original poster
May 23, 2015
Hi.

Although I've been smoking for 20+ years, I started a new journey Saturday with the purchase of a Yoder YS640.

At one time I had a Brinkmann Professional (side arm), MES30, a side firebox stick burner and The Good One Heritage Oven. I started out on the Brinkmann and did some amazing smokes ,,, and rebuilt the thing two times until the ash box, legs and grate are all rusting through again. The spare parts that I need are no where to be found.

I used to smoke ~40 chickens and half a dozen pork shoulders for my team twice a year. While it was hard work (ever pulled meat off of 40 chickens?) it had its rewards in the smiling faces and grunts of pleasure that I heard while they enjoyed the food. It was always a fulfilling experience for me to give back to the team that supported and drove the companies goals.

The YS640 will ultimately replace the Brinkmann and The Good One. The MES and the side firebox smoker have been gone for a couple of years.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know the YS640 and the world of pellet grilling/smoking!

The burning question (sorry) for me is pellet quality. BTU's, Smoke quantity, ash volume, etc....I'm sure that it's as heated a debate as which rub is the 'best' ...but I digress. So, whether it's opinion or fact, any information about pellet(s) is welcome!

Thanks!

Dale.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another beautiful and warm day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

The burning question (sorry) for me is pellet quality. BTU's, Smoke quantity, ash volume, etc....I'm sure that it's as heated a debate as which rub is the 'best' ...but I digress. So, whether it's opinion or fact, any information about pellet(s) is welcome!

Thanks!
Dale.

Hey Dale.

Here's my experience/opinion. The pellet that I've noticed the biggest difference in smoke production/performance/taste is a 100% hickory pellet. There are several companies you can buy these from...my personal favorites are Lumberjack and CookinPellets.com. Not all pellets are 100% of the flavor wood on their label. Some are "blended" pellets, which are produced with a base of around 2/3 oak or alder wood and around 1/3 of the flavor wood. Some of these blended pellets are pretty good too...I've had pretty good results using BBQrs Delight or B&B Pellets.

The smoke flavor from a pellet cooker tends to be more subtle than that from a stick burner or charcoal. For that reason, many pellet burners will add a smoke generator like tha A Maze N Tube Smoker for extra smoke. Todd Johnson, who owns and operates A Maze N Products, is the best resource I know for advice/knowledge on pellets. He's also a trusted SMF member and a real good guy. If you want more pellet-related info, I'd ask him.

Hope that helps...

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky