New Toy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

northwet smoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Let the addiction continue
biggrin.gif
. Picked up a WSM today. Got a pretty good deal on it so home it came. I was able to cook on one at a smoking class last weekend and was pretty impressed. I've been wanting something portable (my offset weighs 350lbs) and also something to cook on over the winter. The only covered area I have is the front porch and I'm not dragging the Brinkman up there. So............ who has one and did you do any mods to it? I know of the WSM site but wanted to ask around "home" before I spend too much time over there. Thanks.

Dave

I know smokebuzz and Ron50 have the wsm, and I'm sure there are others.... buzz posted a thread tonight about the soon-to-be-released 22 1/2" wsm.....looks an awful lot like a well built drum smoker......
biggrin.gif

L8r,
Eric

I have a clay flower pot base over my water pan.......serves the same purpose as sand in the pan and my door is pretty well sealed shut to stop the air leaks. But I would say with a wsm you can pretty much run with no mods at all and be just fine.

Thanks Joe, it looks like the only thing I really need is a thermo. Do you like the flower pot better than using water? Did you notice a difference in how the wsm cooks?

Dave

LOL, I got ya now Bubba. Little slow on the take here I guess. I was wondering what the heck you meant in your first post. LMAO!! Just put it together yesterday. Can't wait to break it in. See, it really did happen
biggrin.gif

Good choice on pick of a smoker NorthWET. I've had one for about a year, and after using the water pan with water about 4 times, and having problems getting rid of the greasy mess in the pan I switched over to a flower pot bottom in the stock pan with a double layer of foil over that. NO CLEANUP!! And temp control is just as good.
For mods, I put a nice 3" thermo in the lid, 2 BBQ Guru eyelets in the sides for probes and replaced the lower cooking grate with a new top grate. Fits better. This was out of necessity as the original grate either disappeared or somehow shrank in diameter so it no longer fit on the supports. I know that is not possible, but it happened. By the way the WSM is a great cooker, it's just so easy to use. Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky