New Toy to Play with....Bowl Chopper!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice! I love me some big toys but those things scare me. Maybe there's a kill switch on the lid or something... Truthfully, I was pretty blown away with my results with a double grind so emulsifying gear went farther down the list. That being said I know you do big batches and can see you benefiting from it even just chopping and mixing. From memory reading Marianski they generate a lot of heat and chipped ice is mandatory but you probably knew that already. I am big fan of buffing stuff and would go nuts on it. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: 73saint
Well, after looking the machine over, the hand nut that holds the chopper blades on the shaft is stripped. It is an all aluminum piece. I will talk to my buddy that is a machinist and get his thoughts, but I'm fairly certain the hole can be oversized and have a threaded brass sleeve pressed in. Project Mortadella is on hold again.

• Sad
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Hey IDS, any chance you have a pic of the power takeoff end where the accessories would mount. Mine is missing what ever would be there and I've found little info about it anywhere

Hey IDS, any chance you have a pic of the power takeoff end where the accessories would mount. Mine is missing what ever would be there and I've found little info about it anywhere
This model does not accept accessories. Just has what looks to be a 5/16" hole for rotor shaft lubrication.

Reactions: DanMcG
Congratulations! I have both 14" and 18" Hobart choppers and although they don't get the use they used to when we had six kids on the farm back in New York I still use them a couple times a year.

As food for thought the blades are better off NOT being as sharp as say, a boning knife. They will stay sharp and cut better with a thicker edge as the speed that the blades turn and even crushed ice can dull fine edges quite quickly.

I sharpen mine with a very slightly convex edge sort of like a properly sharpened axe or hatchet so the edge is sharp enough to cut even small pieces cleanly but has a lot of steel right behind the cutting edge to support the edge. As a knife make your uncle should know what I mean.

I can't speak to the Scharfen but the Hobart has one blade that is beveled from both sides and one that is beveled from one side and it matters in what order they are installed. DanMcG can likely advise if the Scharfen is the same as he did a nice restoration an an 18"(?) Scharfen some years ago.

Again, congrats! A bowl chopper open new horizons in sausage making. And as Chef JJ wrote salsa, slaw etc are literally a matter of a few seconds per bowl load once the product is prepped.

Best regards to all,

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky