New to the Smoking Trade!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trig001

Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Well, I am another new member to the art of smoking. I purchased a new ECB smoker last week, but have yet to fire it up. I am going to start with some ribs on Thursday and thought now would be a good time to get some advice if people like. I have not made any modifications except some thermometers. I installed 2 thermometers about 4-5 inches above the cooking level in the middle of both zones(zones is the whole smoker split in half) I am not going to make an other modification yet even thought I like several that I have seen. I have to convince my wife that we(the people that use the smokers) knows more about the smoker than the people that designed it!
biggrin.gif
Im a guy and we all love to improve what manufactures are too cheap to do.

Well I purchased the rib rub from the smoking meat site and will be using that thrusday. I am planning on using charcoal base with adding wood, but dont know that ratio of charcoal to wood to use(just an est. would help) because I know it can vary.

I also watch some videos on the site to help me on my way. What are some of the things that I need to know going into this new hobby? I have the basic tools and supplies while sparing no expense. Thats the only way to jump into a hobby
biggrin.gif
! LOL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Joe

Welcome to SMF, Joe! You remind me of when I started smoking meats as I also started out with a brand new ecb. Before you place your first piece of meat in it, you'll want to season the smoker to get all of the chemicals out of it, and not onto your food.

After assembling the smoker, spray the insides of the rig, including the lid, with a high-temp tolerant oil (i.e. peanut oil). Load the charcoal pan up and light that thing on fire! The first smoke will burn off the chemicals from the freshly painted metal, and will also ensure your first meats come off tasting great!

Throw those questions out there if ya got 'em. Someone will be along quickly to help you out.

Enjoy the smoke!

Sumosmoke, thanks for the post, how long should I do the burn for the seasoning?

well I am not sumosmoke. But I can answer the question for you.
before you spray oil are what ever I use soap and water to clean everything on the inside. steel wool works are a brillo pad.
wipe dry the best you can. spray every thing well with a non alcohol based vegtable spray. then get yer fire going leave every thing open till the fire gets good and hot. then close all the doors but leavre them a jar 1/4 open after an hour of heat cureing it. put some wood on the coals (your favorite wood) let the smoke come then close every thing leaving only the vents open 1/4 this will season her. do that till the fire is dead. you now have a cured and seasoned smoker. when ever you bring her on line to smoker or cook. bring the temp if you can to 350 mist the cooking area with a spray bottle of water. steam will rise and clean off the cooking area. then add yer food and regulat the vents till yer temp drops to the temp you want.

hope this helps and always ask away.

First off welcome Joe to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Joe,

First welcome to the site. Ribs are a great first time. I would check out the rib section. BBALLY has a stick there for rib prep that is a must. Good luck & remember if there's no QVIEW it didn't really happen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky