new to the rib thing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thefooll

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Ok guys and gals.  I am trying my first rack of ribs today.  I have my rub all picked out.  No sauce because the daughter doesn't like bbq sauce ( I know, think she may be adopted.  lol)  Anyway, this is a full rack so how do I cut these up before the smoke.  Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of ribs ya have there ? And I'd kinda have to side with your daughter on the no sauce thing ! :biggrin:

I'm not here to help, I too need rib help. For some reason, I just can't seem to get them right. So, if you get some help and the ribs turn out good, let me know.

I'm not here to help, I too need rib help. For some reason, I just can't seem to get them right. So, if you get some help and the ribs turn out good, let me know.

Stick around here if the thread starter does not mind or p.m. me..... Glad to help !

Hey monkey.  I am using the same rub that I use on my loins.  It is my own recipe.  Thinking that I am going to use the 3-2-1 method.  Seams like it works well for almost everybody.

Go for it Brew any ideas that help monkey will help me too so have at it.

So usually I just trim up the loose stuff off of them..... Then I remove the membrane off the back as well..... I hope I'am answering your question .... If I need to be more specific on anything, just let me know !

Ok that was what I was wanting to know. Thanks Brew.

So what ya doing with the ribs & ya feel that ya just can't get them right..... Tell a little more on your process of what your doing, then more on how ya want them to turn out !

Here's a short video from Weber on trimming them ribs if ya do better with a visual.... Sometimes more helpful when ya see it if your like me !

So what ya doing with the ribs & ya feel that ya just can't get them right..... Tell a little more on your process of what your doing, then more on how ya want them to turn out !
Last smoke I did 3-2-1 @225 on 2 racks of spares. I think my problem is with the dry rub. The meat itself was done the way I liked it as far as texture and moisture. I just can't seem to get a good bark/flavor. Where I live, BBQ is a dietary staple (one of the 5 major food groups), but most of the emphasis is on the sauce (vinegar based, not sweet), and not so much on any kind of bark. Well, I'm trying to do the bark thing, but without making them too sweet. Not that I'm against sweet, I've just never had them that way, and don't want to screw them up. So, the last time I used Meatheads Memphis Dust, I don't think there was enough rub (I didn't want to over-do it and make them too sweet), because there was no bark to speak of and the only thing that brought them to life was my wife's homemade sauce.

Basically, I've had lots of ribs, but mine aren't even in the same league with any of the others I've had. I guess I just haven't found the right rub, and/or didn't use the rub right?

A lot of us on here use Jeff's rub, makes a great bark.... I've used many others though and had a good bark ! However, I don't foil ! I prefer a more solid bark and IMO wrapping the ribs softens the rub/bark !

b0e559d7_image.jpg

Looks good.

I take it you didnt foil?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky