New to the forum, from Westminster, Maryland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

midnightbrewer

Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Westminster, MD.
Hi there! I'm a newbie to the site & just want to give you a little insight. My name is Kevin. I am 58 years old, married to my wonderful wife for 26 years, & we have a 22 year old son.

I have been homebrewing beer, wine, & mead for about 20 years. I also like to cook, fun stuff like chili & meatloaf. About 6-7 years ago, I bought a vertical Masterbuilt 7 in 1 Smoker combo. I've been hooked ever since. My favorite item to smoke are "bone-in pork butts" for pulled pork. I love taking a day off to spend 12 hours smoking a couple of butts. It's a chance to reflect, read a drink a couple homebrews, & smoke a nice Arturo Fuente (don't tell the wife)! I also do wings, ribs, & whole chickens. My next thing on my list is to conquer briskets.

I also use Char-broil Duo Gas-Charcoal 5050 grille. I plan on buying the add-on fire box for it so I can learn to smoke with charcoal. I am also planning to purchase a new smoker, like the Masterbuilt GS30D 2-door vertical or the Landmann 3895GLA.

I am looking forward to getting help & giving help whenever I can.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the fun.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Glad to have you with us Kevin !  Don't let the brisket scare you, it's not that hard!  Just do a little research here, then ask any questions you have till you feel comfortable getting started. We are here to help!

Mike

Last edited:
welcome1.gif
from Massachusetts ! good to have you here...

Thank you all for the welcomes. Also, where can I find out what all of the abbreviations mean? like GOSM, AMNPS, etc. I feel stupid, but some are obvious & others are not! Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Thank you all for the welcomes. Also, where can I find out what all of the abbreviations mean? like GOSM, AMNPS, etc. I feel stupid, but some are obvious & others are not! Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
 Welcome aboard Kevin!  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  No need to feel stupid...we do tend to use a language of our own!  Here's a link to an article explaining some of our more common acronyms:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/smf-acronyms-definitions

Just ask anytime you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome, Kevin,

I too am a homebrewer started with beer in 1986 and then on to mead and cider, don't get much time these days to brew however and the keg fridge is currently empty.  I hate it when it is like that .

Troy

Real Big Swede,

Thanks for the welcome. How many Marylanders do you think are on the site? I think I would like to see a Maryland group formed. Anyway, I will be taking some pictures & posting them through the next few weeks. Never really thought about taking pictures of my smoked creations before. I'm going to start with my equipment & the next time I smoke (in a day or 2). Thanks again.

Kevin

Real Big Swede,

Thanks for the welcome. How many Marylanders do you think are on the site? I think I would like to see a Maryland group formed. Anyway, I will be taking some pictures & posting them through the next few weeks. Never really thought about taking pictures of my smoked creations before. I'm going to start with my equipment & the next time I smoke (in a day or 2). Thanks again.

Kevin
Kevin I like that I have seen about 7-9 but I only have been around here for abour 2 month. But I don't have the time to run one.. but I some body sets one up Sign me up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky