• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New to SV

Bvonvett

Joined Jun 12, 2020
As the title says, i'm new to SV. I did some sirloin steaks, salt and garlic rub, vacuum sealed, 132° for 1 hr 30 minutes, I tried 129° prior and that didn't please the boss. Even after the sear I was still missing the "grill" flavor. What can I do to help with the taste?

Love SV as it's easy but am missing flavor.

Thanks

Attachments

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Is it the smoke you're missing maybe? Try letting it cool down in the fridge before searing so it doesn't get overdone on the grill.
The SV has already done the tenderizing part.
I would go at least 4 hours at that temperature.....

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
I would go at least 4 hours at that temperature.....
Depending on sickness of my stakes I never go less then three hours... Usually four hours at 131F. I know, taste is differ but I never missed beefy flavor of my stakes.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I agree---Longer would be better.

And I never SV meat with a Temp below 131°. Pros tell you no lower than 130°, but I give it another 1°, because I can't tell the difference & the Bad Bugs can.

Bear

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Even after the sear I was still missing the "grill" flavor. What can I do to help with the taste?
Pay attention to the temp and length of cook given by others and check out the chart .
I get the best sear and flavor from a hot , dry cast iron skillet . Dry meat as well .
Need that char on the edge in my opinion .

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.