New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

go dawgs smoker

Original poster
May 29, 2016
Just starting my smoking career. Live in Loganville,Ga and am an avid Georgia Bulldogs fan. Bought a cheap Charbroiled 600 propane smoker to see how I would like smoking. Have had many friends rave and decided to try it. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Do I need to flip the ribs before I wrap them in foil Al? They sure are smelling good.

Welcome from SC. It's really good to have you on this great site.

Sorry I'm late on this, but depending on your cooking temp, your ribs should be already done. I hope they're not overdone. I smoke my baby backs at 250-265* for about 3 hours. I never wrap them in foil. There are lots of folks that no longer wrap. At about 3 hours, I check them with the bend test. If they have a good bend, I sauce/glaze them and keep them on for 15 minutes and sauce again for 15 more. Then, I take them off, let them rest for 30 minutes, slice and serve. They should be tasty, tender and have a slight tug.

You're probably already done, but give this method a try next time. I hope you'll like it.

Good luck and keep on smokin', Joe

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the tip. They were very good, but probably a little past where they should have been done. I'll try not wrapping them next time and see how I do with that. Any tips on smoking a Boston Butt?

Trim the fat cap to about 1/4" and remove any large deposits of fat or hard spots of fat. Slather the butt all over with yellow mustard and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then apply your favorite rub. I would suggest that you purchase Jeff's recipes for rubs and sauce. They are very user friendly and can be tweaked to your personal taste without changing the basic quality. The proceeds from the recipes go to support and maintenance of this great site.

I usually smoke a butt at 250-275*. When the IT gets to 150-160*, the cook will stall. When the stall sets in, double wrap the butt in foil. Add 1/2 cup of apple juice to the foil. The apple juice will help with flavor and moisture and the acidity will help with tenderness. When the IT reaches 205*, open the foil and see if the bone pulls easily from the butt. If it does, the butt is ready to pull. Wrap the foiled butt in towels or a blanket and put in a dry cooler to rest for an hour to let the juices redistribute back into the butt.

The butt is now ready to pull. Pour any remaining juices into a bowl to mix with your finishing sauce. Take out any fat that you can see and shred the meat and bark. A good finishing sauce is your remaining juices mixed with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 3 Tbs. Brown Sugar, 1 TBS Kosher Salt and 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes. Use this sauce sparingly. You're not trying to flavor the meat, only add a little moisture. You should now have a good tasty pulled pork meal.

If you want sliced butt instead of pulled, change the finishing IT from 205 to 185*

I hope this has not too long, but you asked..... Good luck with it. Let me know how it works, Joe

I appreciate the help Joe. Gonna try a brisket soon, too. My wife says she doesn't like brisket, I tell her she just hasn't had it cooked right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky