New to smoking......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrigley

Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Hello,

I got a new (Master Forge) charcoal smoker for fathers day. Been interested in smoking for quite some time now. Found this site recently. Not sure where to start or what would be a good "trial and error first smoke". Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike 

Welcome to the SMF...lots of info and very helpful folks here. Suggest going to 'roll call' to get a proper welcome & sign up for the free e-course which covers a lot of basics for you. The search bar is a very handy tool for anything you want to know. You can type in the model of your unit for tips and mods. Type in any kind of meat/poultry for detailed info from members on the subject. Any type of chicken is a great way to break your unit in and usually cheap....or a chuck roast (chuckie) for beef. We love Q/view so post your pics of smokes. I would suggest you read, read, read posts on what you decide to smoke first and then....just fire it up.

Welcome to the SMF!  Start with something simple and inexpensive like chicken or pork chops so you can get the hang of your new rig and see how she behaves.  Get some good charcoal (hardwood) without fillers and binders so you get a good quality smoke going.  Cook by temps rather than time.  And post some pix so we can oooh and aaahhh!

yep bust out the chicken and get to smoking
grilling_smilie.gif

Welcome to the SMF!  Start with something simple and inexpensive like chicken or pork chops so you can get the hang of your new rig and see how she behaves.  Get some good charcoal (hardwood) without fillers and binders so you get a good quality smoke going.  Cook by temps rather than time.  And post some pix so we can oooh and aaahhh!
Thanks for the reply.......I'm going to go out on limb and say "Kingsford" isn't the charcoal I'm looking for? :) I've done a bit of research and have gathered that the most important element in smoking is the ability to maintain temperature? Please suggest charcoal. Thanks

Mike 

I agree with the chickn and if ya want, brats, hot dogs and hamburgers are a great test of the new feeling.. I did 1/2 lb hamburgers on my very first smoke and havent stopped doing them to this day!!..

Rich

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky