New to smoking in Mid-Coast Maine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rjmarshall17

Original poster
May 11, 2020
Hi,

I recently purchased an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn combo that has an offset smoker. I took my first stab at smoking a chicken the other day and had a dickens of a time keeping the temperature right. I also ended up with way too much white smoke. The meat tastes a little too smokey, but it came out really moist.

I'm looking for some help finding wood I can use in my area (Bath/Brunswick). For the first run I used wood chunks from the hardware store which sort of worked but I think my lack of knowledge and the smaller pieces of wood didn't help with maintaining the temperature...plus it was a really windy day.

Does anyone know where I can find wood for an offset smoker?

Thanks,

Rob

Use lump charcoal for heat and your wood chunks for smoke, it'll be easier than trying to burn the chunks for heat.
Once you become more familiar with your pit you can switch to burning small wood splits for heat and smoke flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky