New to Smoke'n Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rtom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 18, 2007
My dad gave me a brinkmann smoke'n grill that he had used once and didn't like it. it has the electric conversion element in it or I can use the charcoal pan. Well I tried it yesterday to see how well it worked but the electric seemed to take forever to get up to temp although was a little windy blocking the wind helped, but still took about an hour and half to get to temp.
I would like to make 2 butts next week while camping and
I know there are some people here that have these if anyone could help me better use this I would greatly appreciate it
I used hot water in the pan. Do I need the water pan?
Can I set the chip pan on the element?

Use a heavy gauge cord for you wire, shorter the better. blockage from wind and rain is a must. I don't think these things achieve more than 275º depending on the ambient temps and conditions. You can use an aluminum foil packet with wood chips and a few small holes poked in it to release the smoke.
You must have the water pan, otherwise you are just grilling. Only about 3/4 full, you can always add more if needed.
Butts can take some time, so be prepared with some other goodies so you don't starve.

thanks flash I will definitely block the wind, I just thought being so small with a 1500 watt element it would heat better than that

Deffinitely use the water pan. You can also experiment with what you put in the water pan. Some people will put marinade or other things in the water pan. Also, if the electric elememt is simply too tempermental, you could remove it and use the smoker as a charcoal smoker.

icon_cool.gif

I would also recommand the biggest heavy duty cord that you have and the longer the cord the less heat your unit will produce. Now I would also recommand using the water pan for your smoker was disigned for one so use one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky