new to site

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lots of ways available to you, depending on what kind of tools you have available. Off the top of my head you could use oxy/acet. cutting torch (rough), plasma cutter (much better) electric jigsaw or sawzall with metal cutting blade, air chisel with panel cutter, air or electric 4 in. grinder with cutting wheel, dremel tool (slow), hacksaw blade in a close quarters frame (real slow). Probably others, just can't think of them now. If the holes are round, or could be, a holesaw would work very well also.

Greetings Danny,
There are lots of knowledgable peeps here with the answers to all of your questions...as for me! I don't have the answers for a UDS..but hang on help is on it's way...

Danny Boy. Be careful cutting them open unless you're sure of what was in them. Many people here will tell you the same thing. As long as you are POSITIVE nothing flammable was in them, (Not some random guy selling barrels word).

There's a method of using channel locks or something like that that people have mentioned recently.

Welcome aboard and be careful.

Keep us updated with pictures on the build.

Hi Danny, and welcome to the SMF. You'll have good feedback real soon on that project of yours. Good luck.

Welcome Danny. Be sure to show us some pics of the finished product. Thanks. Grinder is my favorite method of cutting.

welcome to SMF danny!I use a black and decker jigsaw with a quick release blade.Its a little slower going then a sawzall but easier to control.a cut off wheel attachment for a 3/8 drill can get the cut started to get the jigsaw in.you can use a soapstone or a sharpie marker for your out lines.use card board for templates.try to think things out real good use a scrarch pad to scribble but most important....measure 3 times...cut once!
For me the fabrication and mods are half the fun to smoking!In about a week or so I plan on starting a double too so feel fre to PM me and trade tips.Good luck and post pix of your noble project!
Happy Smokes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky