New To Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dub4skinz

Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Chandler, Az
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am relatively new to smoking. I have the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. I have had it for 2 months now and have done Pork Loin, Tri-Tip, and Pork Butt. Prior to the WSM I smoked on my charcoal grill (difficult). I smoked a Pork Butt for the first time last night. 7lb for 8 hours. I used an already prepared rub (Grill Mates Sweet and Smokey) and Injected with a concoction of apple juice, apple cider, cooking wine and dissolved dry rub.

Came out wonderful (picture is in my avatar).

I am here for tips and tricks and homemade recipe ideas for dry rubs/injection solutions/brines. Any help for you BBQ masters would be very much appreciated.

Just for clarity my name Dub(nickname) 4 (for) Skinz (Redskins). No other meanings haha. 

Thanks again all.

Dub, What temp did you smoke at? What was your IT when you pulled the butt? Were you planning to pull it or slice it? These things would be good to know for giving you any suggestions on the butt. Did you use all charcoal or any wood?

Please post any or all of these answers and we can give you a better idea. Good luck, Joe

A cook temp of 250° sounds good. I just think that at 250°, 8 hours sounds quick for a 7# butt. You need to get a good meat therm. For pulled pork the IT of a Boston butt needs to be over 200°.

Good luck with your next smoke, Joe

Yeah, I wanted to do 1.5 hours per lb but wife got impatient and hungry lol. Thank you for the tips. Do you have a preferred wood for pork vs beef? I'll keep my eye out for a good therm.

Yeah, I wanted to do 1.5 hours per lb but wife got impatient and hungry lol. Thank you for the tips. Do you have a preferred wood for pork vs beef? I'll keep my eye out for a good therm.
dubs if you make another before aquiring a good thermo probe,use a tooth pick.When it goes in smoothly you will have super easy pull

Richie

Dub, Everyone has their own wood preference and they are as varied as smoker preferences. I like hickory on beef, cherry on pork and apple on fowl. Try them all and make you own pick.

Reactions: dub4skinz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky