New smoker reporting for duty!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nosnam

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 31, 2008
Silver Creek, NY
After reading around a bit, I just purchased a GOSM 3405BGW Gas* Wide Body (is this what everyone refers to as the Big Block?) and can't wait to try it out for the first time! It probably won't be here for a week, but I'll update this thread with how my first smoking experience went.

I haven't decided what I am going to try first; I'll probably end up buying a rack of ribs. I'm definitely going to be buying Jeff's recipes and trying them out though, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Over the next couple days I plan on reading through the rest of the reading material here, but feel free to toss out any suggestions you have!

* Yeah, I know, Propane is just blasphemous! However, I happen to work at a propane company, and that makes it pretty convenient.

welcome nos youve com to the right place .everyone hear from the begginer to the pros are full of info.look forward to hearin more from you.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

WEelcome to the SMF, where friendly folks meet and share good times. The GOSM big block is a little different in dimensions and BTU's, but then it's all good!

Nosnam... nothing wrong with any way you use to get smoke on meat. Welcome to SMF and don't forget to clean and season your Big Block first!

Welcome to SMF Nosnam , I have a 3605BGD gas and I love it. Don't trust the heat indicator in the door , get yourself a couple of digital thermometers one for the chamber temp and one for the internal meat temp . Happy smoking ! PS make sum of Dutch's Wicked Bean's they are GREAT .

Nosnam
Glad you joined us and welcome to SMF !!!
After seasoning your new smoker, KENNYMN's suggestion of Dutch's Wicked Bens is an excellent first smoke and may I also suggest smoking either/and a fatty and/or pulled pork. All are great choices in a first smoke.

Welcome -buckle up and enjoy the ride, big blocks will blow some doors!

Welcome to the forum! Yes, Jeff's recipes are great. I modified the sauce just until my daughter-in-law could eat it and that's where I stopped
biggrin.gif
Keith

Thanks everyone! I just got the notification that the smoker arrived today, can't wait to put it together. I think I'll take some of the above suggestions and try out beans, fatties, and pulled pork.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the gosm, I know I do. It's a great unit.
Don't forget to post some qview of the new smoker and the smokes. May all your smokes be thin and blue.
Andy.

I finally had a chance to put it together today. I only planned on seasoning it today, and not any smoking, so I only had some fresh Apple twigs.

Well, after letting it season for a while, and smelling that smoke for a couple hours, I decided I had to at least put something in there.

I quickly threw together a simple fatty and tossed in, just waiting for it to finish now.

Edit: I'm really happy with the gosm... I've maintained a consistent 225 for the past couple hours now, and have a nice TBS coming out the top.

Welcome to our little corner of the web, Nosnam. That GOSM is a great unit and is pretty simple to use. Mine has been turning out some of the best Q for over four years now and still running strong. Feel free to post any questions while you're getting used to it and we'll help you along to pitmaster status in no time...

Cheers,
Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky