new smoker needs help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

renee

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
We had a MES and it would not maintain temperature so we returned that one and bought one with the digital reading on top and just got it today and we are having a time with it.  It will not go above 220 degrees and to season it we are to go to 275.  Any ideas?

Hello.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  As for your question:  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others may have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  I don't own a MES but I'll bet you are using the therm that came with the MES as your temp guide.  The therms that come with smokers are notorious for being wrong.  I know this one has a digital read but I wouldn't trust it.  Another option, I THINK the older MES is 110v but if your new one is 220v you may have 1 load breaker tripped.  Another option, I hear Masterbuilt quality/service has gone down hill.  You MAY have gotten 2 faulty units.  Best I can come up with without putting my meter on things.  Maybe someone else has ideas.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Take it back and look for something else besides a MES. Just my opinion, of course, but the new generation models are having lots of problems. I wouldn't own one....the old generation seems to be a favorite of many on here. I would seriously consider a pellet smoker....which I'm considering adding to the collection. Lowes has one about $450 with good reviews. I wish I had bought one before going totally electric. I have a Smokin It #3 and like it well enough but also like the design of the pellet smokers. Again, just my thoughts......Willie

Thanks for responding.  Appreciate it very much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky